When to (and not to) attempt resuscitation?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
We can call a death in the field of there are certain signs such as rigor mortis, lividity, decapitation or some other injury incompatible with life. Asystole in two or more leads, and fixed and dilated pupils.

I really wish they would add what I bolded above into our protocol. With that said though I have a knack for getting ROSC on asystolic patients. Not sure if I like it or not.

eonefireemt3

Forum Crew Member
I wouldn't because most of the time, the brain has suffered to much damage from hypoxia. One thing I like that we started doing is inducing hypothermia in patients that we get a ROSC in. Our data shows a definite increase in patient outcomes post resuscitation.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I wouldn't because most of the time, the brain has suffered to much damage from hypoxia. One thing I like that we started doing is inducing hypothermia in patients that we get a ROSC in. Our data shows a definite increase in patient outcomes post resuscitation.

I agree with what you're saying but unfortunately I'm limited by my protocols and have some wacky luck, if you can call it that... We only do hypothermia post VF/VT with sustained ROSC.