When the rig DOESN'T respond.

Hal9000

Forum Captain
Our dispatchers all seem to have different theories, which is kind of strange. My favorite one always repeats dispatch info and also always retones at the 2 minute mark. Some of the new dispatchers don't tone twice at specified times. The ambulances are community run because there aren't enough people to justify a paid service.

If there is no response after eight minutes, dispatch supposedly has already alerted the next closest ambulance, which is 35 minutes away. I've never seen that happen. I have seen the QRU near us respond, and it's only 10 minutes out, and that's when we didn't have a free rig, which will happen maybe once a month.

After a tone, an ambulance is usually ready within two minutes.

One of the close-by towns annually gets a contract about 40 minutes away for a county function that lasts a week. It's a real money maker and a former paramedic gets all the money, keeps most for himself, and doles out the rest to his crew, which are the people that volunteer on the ambulance at the aforementioned town. Three times during they've had no one left to watch calls and we've had to respond to their territory, with one time being a travel time of 50 minutes one direction. In those cases, the dispatcher paged three times and then paged us. What's really funny is that this function that they're busy staffing is located in out town and is only 1.5 miles from our barn. Ah, the joy of being best buds with people in the county, you can almost get away with murder. :rolleyes: