When taking a pulse

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
That's why you still manually palpate it and see if it matches the monitor.

The pulse ox gives you an actual pulse rate too, btw.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'll trust my monitor before I trust my SA02 monitor, anyday.

I agree. But technically all the monitor measures is electrical activity, not mechanical. If compared and the mechanical matches the monitor I'll stick with the monitor until something gives me a reason not to.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Level 6 clinical correlation is seeing if the pleth matches the electrical activity matches the mechanical pulse (be it by art line or palpated):D:D:D.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I'll trust my monitor before I trust my SA02 monitor, anyday.

Minor quibble, unless you've got a prehospital blood gas analyzer, your not measuring SaO2. Your measuring SpO2. SpO2 is a calculation based on light wavelengths. SaO2 is a direct measurement of saturated hemoglobin based on blood analysis. Minor thing, but it keeps you from stupid in front people who know the difference.

BlakeFabian

Forum Probie
Minor quibble, unless you've got a prehospital blood gas analyzer, your not measuring SaO2. Your measuring SpO2. SpO2 is a calculation based on light wavelengths. SaO2 is a direct measurement of saturated hemoglobin based on blood analysis. Minor thing, but it keeps you from stupid in front people who know the difference.

Oh hell, I keep forgetting about that. Haha, you're right. That's what was used all throughout my B & I classes so it got ingrained in my head. :p

BTW, you forgot to say 'appearing'

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Oh hell, I keep forgetting about that. Haha, you're right. That's what was used all throughout my B & I classes so it got ingrained in my head. :p

BTW, you forgot to say 'appearing'

So you've got a quibble too :D.

BLS Systems Limited

Verified Vendor
Good points all. Correlation is a great practice to follow as it can identify perfused versus non-perfused beats. I'll never forget the code I was at where the doc was insisting on defibrillation based on the monitor and we had a strong pleth...so they shocked her just because...

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Anyone still take apical pulses?

Taught us to take it apically while palpating radially or elsewhere for best quality.
Plus, do you only/always palpate the radial pulse?