What's in your bag?

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
So you think a person's own private glucometer is the same as that in EMS? They probably aren't since the person who has a glucometer for their own testing knows the value of it and how to take care of it. The OP clearly stated he kept this piece of equipment in a bag with a bunch of stuff that was mostly trash. I didn't make that up.

Even if a piece of medical equipment is considered durable, that is no reason to treat it like trash. Maybe it is too much responsibility for some which if that is how you treat the equipment your are trusted with, that would include you.

And if an EMT is bashing a nurse without knowing all the facts, it is fair game. If the Paramedic only has the UMBC cert, that does NOT automatically qualify him to transport a critical care patient. Or, it may by patch but not by knowledge. Those are two very different things. If that is the Paramedic's only claim to bash a nurse then there is an issue.

If you post your trash, literally, on an open forum expect some comment.
Venty...I'm not arguing with you. For one, it's futile to argue with someone like you. A long time ago I was told "don't bother arguing with drunks, people who are stoned or people who are crazy, because there is no way you can win the argument." For two, you actually might be right in the ASSumptions you made (bolded that so you won't miss it); the thing about ASSumptions is that they (often) can turn out to be right, depending on who makes it. But sometimes they don't, and then the person making the ASSumption looks like an...well...that's probably clear. Of course, the best thing to do is not make ASSumptions, but ask questions to get the information needed so that you can make an informed assessment/comment/dx/whatever.

Anyway, I'll let the "trash" deal (still not seeing more than a couple things that would be considered "trash" by most people) and snide comments and further derogatory ASSumptions about EMS go since there is no point in arguing with you.

Cheers. (and let the continued insults, ASSumptions, rhetoric, personal attacks, and degrading statements continue)

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Venty...I'm not arguing with you. For one, it's futile to argue with someone like you. A long time ago I was told "don't bother arguing with drunks, people who are stoned or people who are crazy, because there is no way you can win the argument." For two, you actually might be right in the ASSumptions you made (bolded that so you won't miss it); the thing about ***umptions is that they (often) can turn out to be right, depending on who makes it. But sometimes they don't, and then the person making the ***umption looks like an...well...that's probably clear. Of course, the best thing to do is not make ***umptions, but ask questions to get the information needed so that you can make an informed assessment/comment/dx/whatever.

Anyway, I'll let the "trash" deal (still not seeing more than a couple things that would be considered "trash" by most people) and snide comments and further derogatory ***umptions about EMS go since there is no point in arguing with you.

Cheers. (and let the continued insults, ***umptions, rhetoric, personal attacks, and degrading statements continue)

You are the only one continuously using the word *** in capitals. But then you always had a problem with getting your point across without the use of profanity or name calling. I merely pointed out that medical equipment should be handled with care because his Paramedic might be treating a patient from the results obtained from it. Bad data could end up with a dire consequences for the patient.

Also, it was the OP assumed a patch makes someone a Critical Care Paramedic which was an assumption on his part. It was also the OP who made assumptions about the nurse.

ah2388

Forum Lieutenant
anddddd yet another thread goes to :censored::censored::censored::censored: for no reason...

VentMedic

Forum Chief
anddddd yet another thread goes to :censored::censored::censored::censored: for no reason...

No, not for no reason. I've made notes that it might be time for a new QA be placed on some medical equipment and a little retraining recommended for those who use the lab's cert for their POC testing.

ah2388

Forum Lieutenant
the point is...its a debate for a different time and place, the points made in this thread, while all valid...have absolutely nothing to do with the curious question posed by the OP.

I for one, am somewhat interested and curious in what people bring to work.

After all, I come to this subforum for ENTERTAINMENT, rather than serious discussion.

Sasha

Forum Chief
the point is...its a debate for a different time and place, the points made in this thread, while all valid...have absolutely nothing to do with the curious question posed by the OP.

I for one, am somewhat interested and curious in what people bring to work.

After all, I come to this subforum for ENTERTAINMENT, rather than serious discussion.

Good information can come from an entertainment thread, and it has in a way.

VentMedic's heart is in the right place, but she comes across wrong, and people often antaognize her.

Can't we all just get along?

VentMedic

Forum Chief

VentMedic's heart is in the right place, but she comes across wrong, and people often antaognize her.

Yeah I come across wrong because I still have hopes of EMS being a heath care professsion rather than just entertainment for some.

ah2388

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah I come across wrong because I still have hopes of EMS being a heath care professsion rather than just entertainment for some.

assuming this is directed at me, check your comprehension skills...

i said that this SUBFORUM is for the purpose of entertainment...read the subforum description.

EMS Lounge Sit back, relax, and start up discussion with fellow medics. This is a perfect place for new users to make their introductions.

doesnt seem like the place for a bunch of serious/aggressive conversation!

Veneficus

Forum Chief

I think she does it to herself, it is the constant nitpicking, defamation, arrogance and personal attacks. At some point nobody listens or takes serious any potential contributions people like that make. At best they are entertaining, otherwise it is background noise.

Anyway, I hope nobody was using the broken glucometer on a patient. Or at least being aware of fecal/oral transmission of various microbes when storing the glucometer next to their underwear and then using it to measure capilary blood glucose from the patients tongue. Which may not be relatively safe even for medicine.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I think she does it to herself, it is the constant nitpicking, defamation, arrogance and personal attacks. At some point nobody listens or takes serious any potential contributions people like that make. At best they are entertaining, otherwise it is background noise.

I don't post on this forum near as much as I did when we actually has a few regulars who enjoyed discussing medicine rather than trash in a personal bag. Now this forum is about how marijuana users, heorin addicts, convicted felons or whatever can get an EMT license and you leading the way as their advocate and number one fan.

ah2388

Forum Lieutenant
i for one would love the opportunity to discuss medicine with you..

I would also enjoy reading offtopic EMS related threads where I can speak casually without fear of being ranted on...

RDUNNE

Forum Crew Member
What a fun thread to be so horribly ruined. Such a shame. I do doubt they were using a broken glucometer on their patients.

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
so whats in my bag? Laptop, ebook, psp, bunches of movies, various headsets, stethoscope, pens and more pens and a little notebook, some yummy granola bars, a couple packs of bubble gum, cell phone charger, garmin nuvi, and about 40 bucks in a safe place...

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I don't post on this forum near as much as I did when we actually has a few regulars who enjoyed discussing medicine rather than trash in a personal bag. Now this forum is about how marijuana users, heorin addicts, convicted felons or whatever can get an EMT license and you leading the way as their advocate and number one fan.

Do you think I am insulted by this?

Don't most medical providers say they want to help people? Especially in EMS that doesn't always mean medical intervention.

I seriously doubt from your posts you can discuss medicine in anyway other than blindly citing the rules you follow because you have simply mastered a particular system and have been exposed to more knowledge than you can apply. You even have to change others statements so you can just spout the same ingenious positions. I think you are a fraud and your crusade for more education is just so you can come here and make yourself feel superior to the EMS folks because you have a few more arrows in your healthcare decision tree than they do.

A true professional, in the opinion of some smarter than me, internalize morals. They do what is best because it is best, not because it is the rule. They also know when and how to deviate.

Rules are tools made for fools. A prescription for people so they do not make the wrong decision from lack of knowledge or logical ability. In US EMS strict rules have to exist, especially considering the current education levels. Those same rules don't even apply to many collegues in other parts of the world.

Did belittling people who came here for help make you feel better about yourself because you have not made the errors they have? Sort of hypocritical from somebody who chastises EMS workers for being callous towards certain populations of patients.

I am fortunate enough to have a broad spectrum of intelligence as well as to be able to empathize with people and see multiple sides of a situation. I have also found that encouraging and empowering people is much more rewarding for everyone than belittling them.

I sincerely like to help and advocate for people. In my mind anyone who seeks help is worthy of it, nobody should know the feeling of asking for help and receiving only antipathy. If you find this forum distasteful, I encourage you to move on. But I have a feeling you will miss the forum more than it will miss you.

Fire away your inevitable personal attack, I doubt many will find you credible enough anymore to take much notice. You might also want to thank the forum mods for not strictly enforcing their own rules.

Say what you must to make yourself feel better. But the rate at which you seem to burn bridges you may not find many who you may want to talk with will want to talk to you. I am an observer, not a jury; it looks to me like you are reaping what you have sewn. Good luck in your endeavors.

As for whats in my bag, a notebook, a packet of kleenex, a stethoscope, a couple of pocket guides, a white lab coat, a pen light, trauma shears, and some pens and pencils and whatever book I am studying on a given day. All in seperate pockets.

Last edited by a moderator:

alyssa_

Forum Probie
Erm, yes... what's in my bag.

- laptop
- gum
- calculator
- power bar
- snowboard wax
- screwdriver
- screws
- flashlight
- ski mask
- albuterol inhaler
- some sumatriptan
- water bottle
- notebooks
- pens and pencils

I'm either on the slopes or at school.

RDUNNE

Forum Crew Member
-Extra jacket, socks, and underwear
-toothpaste/toothbrush
-Q-tips
-deoderant
-Saline Solution (for contact lenses)
-tons of pens
-$4.67 in change
-2 extra lighters
-2 packs of gum (Winterfresh)
-pen light
-flashlight
-spare batteries for the tv remotes =)
-Field guide
-an old set of ears i'd forgotten about (my own personal ones, not off the truck)
-bottle of ibuprofen
-the badge I lost last month (glad i found that :blush:)
-laptop
-portable dvd player
-charges for cell phone/laptop/dvd player
Thats all of it ^_^