What ya'll think?

Frozennoodle

Sir Drinks-a-lot
I'm finishing up a B.S. in EMS with a concentration in education and I'm looking at three different degrees for a masters: Homeland Security, Public Health, or the EMS Leadership degree. I'm really having a hard time deciding which one would give me the most utility. I'm not huge on the business side of stuff. I really would like to help form public policy, EMS regulation, and also teach. Research interests me but being able to affect change in my state is more important to me. Thoughts?

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
The only one that will have any type of utility really is public health. You kind of boxed yourself into a corner to be honest, especially since you dont want to be in the business side of things.

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
+1 for public health IMO, though I'm basically completely unfamiliar with the other two.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief

I think what Chewy means is that a BS in EMS will get you a job in EMS, or somewhere as a first responder of some sort, and that's about it. I would scratch the EMS Leadership as a Master's, as THAT would truly be boxing yourself in. To decide between Homeland Security and Public Health it really depends on what you want, and how you word what you want. Public Health is the most negotiable, and does sound like it is what you want, especially since you said it. :p

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
You dont need a homeland security degree to work for homeland secruity, and EMS leadership, what kind of job would that bring?

OP
OP
Frozennoodle

Frozennoodle

Sir Drinks-a-lot
You dont need a homeland security degree to work for homeland secruity, and EMS leadership, what kind of job would that bring?

Some type of government job or directorship but I agree that it doesn't seem to be the ideal route especially since that's what my undergraduate degree is in.

OP
OP
Frozennoodle

Frozennoodle

Sir Drinks-a-lot
I think what Chewy means is that a BS in EMS will get you a job in EMS, or somewhere as a first responder of some sort, and that's about it. I would scratch the EMS Leadership as a Master's, as THAT would truly be boxing yourself in. To decide between Homeland Security and Public Health it really depends on what you want, and how you word what you want. Public Health is the most negotiable, and does sound like it is what you want, especially since you said it. :p

I think that I'll probably wind up doing that just because, like you say, it has the most flexibility. I would probably be more personally interested in homeland security but I can just as easily grab a graduate certificate in that and combine it with my undergraduate degree and be just as nicely set up for disaster management and also have a MPH in my pocket.

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
I think that I'll probably wind up doing that just because, like you say, it has the most flexibility. I would probably be more personally interested in homeland security but I can just as easily grab a graduate certificate in that and combine it with my undergraduate degree and be just as nicely set up for disaster management and also have a MPH in my pocket.

For policy for homeland security surely a master's in security management or political science would be of more use?

OP
OP
Frozennoodle

Frozennoodle

Sir Drinks-a-lot
For policy for homeland security surely a master's in security management or political science would be of more use?

I'd have to look up the difference between security management and homeland security. I assumed that was essentially a disaster mangement degree based on the courses I've seen.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I'd have to look up the difference between security management and homeland security. I assumed that was essentially a disaster mangement degree based on the courses I've seen.

When you start comparing those degrees you start chasing your tail. The names and programs vary, but the actual content is fairly in line. Like I said, its more about how you spin it, especially with emergency management. This is because it is more experience driven than education. Homelans Security, Emergency Management, MPH, Disaster Preparedness, Disaster Management, Risk Management.. the list of synonyms goes on. FEMA has a pretty solid list of programs in this field. If you haven't already, give that a search.

OP
OP
Frozennoodle

Frozennoodle

Sir Drinks-a-lot
When you start comparing those degrees you start chasing your tail. The names and programs vary, but the actual content is fairly in line. Like I said, its more about how you spin it, especially with emergency management. This is because it is more experience driven than education. Homelans Security, Emergency Management, MPH, Disaster Preparedness, Disaster Management, Risk Management.. the list of synonyms goes on. FEMA has a pretty solid list of programs in this field. If you haven't already, give that a search.
Thanks!