What was your experience being the FNG?

sparklylikeaholiday

Forum Ride Along
Hi! :)

I'm the new guy - gal in this case (both on this forum and to being an EMT). :)

I work as a paid employee for the Fire Department (administration, not operations) so I "get" the culture (as much as one can from a day work position...). I've never had a problem fitting in. I get along great with our ops folks and they are very inclusive of me both with social and training opportunities.

Last year, I decided to volunteer at the local Rescue Squad (not affiliated at all with my career station). I didn't have my EMT cert yet... but I did come from a healthcare background (most of my adult career pre-FD was spent as a surgical tech) so even though I couldn't do a lot - I at least knew what the equipment was, could help move patients and could do vitals.

For a long time, no one really talked to me and I felt very outsider-ish. I felt like I was having trouble fitting in. I waited it out and tried to give them time to get to know me or give me a chance, but I was never very comfortable there. (in their defense, I'm also very shy).

I moved to a neighboring town and decided (after 9 months) that I wasn't going to stay at that squad. I left on good terms stating that I was moving and was unable to stay.

Through work I obtained my EMT-B and am taking EVOC I this month...

I'm interested in volunteering at my local squad (same county as my old one, but different town and station). I don't really want the same experience as my first one... I certainly expect to feel like an outsider for a few months - but I was at my old place for almost a year and it never changed - I dreaded going.

The chief where I work says that my experience will probably be different since I'm going in with my EMT license this time...

What was your experience as the new guy? How did you fit in?

I really want to go somewhere, where I will feel comfortable after some time and will want to stay. Since I can't change them - how do I change me? What can I do to fit in more easily? (aside from offering to help and being very open to learning - I do both of those by nature!) :)

THANKS!!

--FNG

denverfiremedic

Forum Crew Member
Hi! :)

I'm the new guy - gal in this case (both on this forum and to being an EMT). :)

I work as a paid employee for the Fire Department (administration, not operations) so I "get" the culture (as much as one can from a day work position...). I've never had a problem fitting in. I get along great with our ops folks and they are very inclusive of me both with social and training opportunities.

Last year, I decided to volunteer at the local Rescue Squad (not affiliated at all with my career station). I didn't have my EMT cert yet... but I did come from a healthcare background (most of my adult career pre-FD was spent as a surgical tech) so even though I couldn't do a lot - I at least knew what the equipment was, could help move patients and could do vitals.

For a long time, no one really talked to me and I felt very outsider-ish. I felt like I was having trouble fitting in. I waited it out and tried to give them time to get to know me or give me a chance, but I was never very comfortable there. (in their defense, I'm also very shy).

I moved to a neighboring town and decided (after 9 months) that I wasn't going to stay at that squad. I left on good terms stating that I was moving and was unable to stay.

Through work I obtained my EMT-B and am taking EVOC I this month...

I'm interested in volunteering at my local squad (same county as my old one, but different town and station). I don't really want the same experience as my first one... I certainly expect to feel like an outsider for a few months - but I was at my old place for almost a year and it never changed - I dreaded going.

The chief where I work says that my experience will probably be different since I'm going in with my EMT license this time...

What was your experience as the new guy? How did you fit in?

I really want to go somewhere, where I will feel comfortable after some time and will want to stay. Since I can't change them - how do I change me? What can I do to fit in more easily? (aside from offering to help and being very open to learning - I do both of those by nature!) :)

THANKS!!

--FNG

Well I can tell you a big thing is being quiet... dont talk unless spoken to. sounds weird but when they want to hear your opinion they will give it to you. after a while if they think you are doing well and you try hard and mean well they will open up to you! In the fire service everyone thinks they are gods gift and why the hell would they talk to you hahah.. so you go by the rule " even a fish wouldnt get in trouble if it kept its mouth shut" lol.. ohhh and i once had a chief put his hand in a postion with pointer finger and piny strait up and two middle fingers and thumb put together and asked me what that was?? I said what? he said a fox! ears up mouth shut! thats all i needed to know.. it will all come with time. DO NOT CHANGE YOURSELF, THEY WANT TO KNOW YOU , NOT A FAKE YOU.. THAT IS HUGE

Medic8294

Forum Ride Along
I agree with above post.

In our profession alot of people talk the talk- but cant walk the walk.
IE they talk like they know everything- then on scene they dont have a clue,
or freeze or run around like a chicken with its head cut off.

Dont act like you know everything- actions speak just as loud as words.
once you prove yourself-people will talk to you.

people in ems dont like to admit they dont know everything, or what to do in every situation. be willing to listen and learn. study your protocols.

Good luck.

Euclidus

Forum Probie
Realize that it might be a slow road until you really feel like you fit in, and be patient. I think most of the time people want the new person to fit in as much as you, the new person, wants to fit in. But before they get all buddy-buddy with you they're going to want to know that you're not 1) crazy, 2) annoying, 3) a know-it-all, etc. I agree with the previous posters in that things become easier/more natural as you begin to prove yourself. It will help in your new situation that you're coming to it on a level playing field, ie, with the same level of certification as everyone else.

The things that helped me fit in most were probably that I stayed pretty quiet until I got a feel for everyone else. I am a natural wise arse, so this was not the easiest thing in the world for me! Until you really know the people you're working with being overly familiar or comfortable seems kind of forced and phony, or worse. I spent a lot of time in the bay learning the trucks, sweeping, or doing the little things that nobody else really wanted to. When you're new it helps to show that you want to take the initiative but to not be really loud and obnoxious about it. It will serve you better to spend two hours by yourself going through the trucks and learning where things are than it would to spend two hours sitting around with everyone telling war stories. Be able to laugh at yourself and develop a thick skin. As I'm sure you already know from having experience in the field, there are a lot of wise-a$$es in fire & EMS! The key, in my opinion, is really just keeping quiet until you get a feel for the place, concentrating on doing a good job, being friendly, and being patient with it.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Well I can tell you a big thing is being quiet... dont talk unless spoken to. sounds weird but when they want to hear your opinion they will give it to you. after a while if they think you are doing well and you try hard and mean well they will open up to you! In the fire service everyone thinks they are gods gift and why the hell would they talk to you hahah.. so you go by the rule " even a fish wouldnt get in trouble if it kept its mouth shut" lol.. ohhh and i once had a chief put his hand in a postion with pointer finger and piny strait up and two middle fingers and thumb put together and asked me what that was?? I said what? he said a fox! ears up mouth shut! thats all i needed to know.. it will all come with time. DO NOT CHANGE YOURSELF, THEY WANT TO KNOW YOU , NOT A FAKE YOU.. THAT IS HUGE

Seriously? That's what they're doing when acting like fools? I took it as some people are just plain incapable of grasping simple social skills. I never received a negative vibe from 99% of FF but some of the slobby appearing Medics with the social skills of a baboon...OY!! All I can say is it's those same slobs with their high-n-mighty attitudes who have iffy skills at best. Good Medics with a sense of common respect and self worth are receptive to anyone who shows respect toward others. Just an observation.