What to expect

Hiya

Forum Ride Along
Hello, I’m starting class tomorrow.. EMR/EMT... was wondering what the difficulty rating is. I’ve been out of school for quite a while so am a little nervous. I’m a middle aged female, and wanted a career change. I’m tired of working around carpenters 🙄 I’m wondering if there will be a huge age gap between me and the others in my class, as well. I just have all the night-before jitters. Thanks for any ideas of what to expect.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Hello, I’m starting class tomorrow.. EMR/EMT... was wondering what the difficulty rating is. I’ve been out of school for quite a while so am a little nervous. I’m a middle aged female, and wanted a career change. I’m tired of working around carpenters [emoji849] I’m wondering if there will be a huge age gap between me and the others in my class, as well. I just have all the night-before jitters. Thanks for any ideas of what to expect.
I'm an instructor at a college EMT class. I usually teach the night class, which most often has the most variety in students. My students typically fall into one of three categories; 1) 18 years old or younger, No Life/Work experience, 2) 20-30s year olds, often single parents or working multiple jobs, and 3) middle aged looking for a career change.

Rest assured, you're not alone. You will likely be in a class with a wide variety of people, which is excellent for classroom learning in my opinion.

EMT class is not easy for people who have never worked in healthcare. The mindset is very different than most people are used to. However, it's an entry level course and if you buckle down and try hard there's no reason you can't do very very well.

Also, none of this advice is different than I would give anyone from the other two groups of students.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Hello, I’m starting class tomorrow.. EMR/EMT... was wondering what the difficulty rating is. I’ve been out of school for quite a while so am a little nervous. I’m a middle aged female, and wanted a career change. I’m tired of working around carpenters 🙄 I’m wondering if there will be a huge age gap between me and the others in my class, as well. I just have all the night-before jitters. Thanks for any ideas of what to expect.

Lots of adults get into EMS after doing something else. EMT class isn't all that challenging academically, so even if you've been out of school for a while, you should be okay. Just go with the flow and embrace the practical portions of the course. Be part of the group.

I can't help it, I have to ask: What's the deal with carpenters?

Rockhitter

Forum Ride Along
I was 65 when I took the EMT Basic course. Fun time for sure. Read each chapter 3 times, study as if someones life may depend on it, someday it may. Turning 66 soon and have been working as an EMT for three months now.