What to do...

magicman

Forum Ride Along
Hi guys,
I am a medical first responder and volunteer fire fighter in nova scotia. I just recently got my medical first responder tag. the course didn't cover much about fainting/collapsing/stomach pains and all that kind of stuff.

Put me in a situation where someone has been involved in some kind of trauma and I am golden but just the other day on vacation I was checking into my hotel with my son and a female flight attendant was lying on a chair in bad shape. I overheard that 911 had been called, the woman was very dizzy, had severe stomach pains, was throwing up and was extremely weak. she was being cared for by 2 other flight attendants who were putting cold towels over her forehead and giving her fluids. paramedics and fire eventually came but by that time I was ready to go and didnt want to rubber neck.

About 2 weeks ago a girl had collapsed at a food joint and was conscious lying on the ground and was awaiting paramedics to arrive. An off duty paramedic was looking after her.

My question is what should I have done in these situation. As a first responder awaiting an ambulance or determining if an ambulance is needed what can I do? Primary assessment of checking pulse, breathing rate, pupils, pain/injuries.

When I get home I am going to do some major reading in my textbooks as I find that coming across situations like this aren't uncommon and I want to be able to know what to do.

Any and all help is appreciated.

OP
OP
M

magicman

Forum Ride Along
Hey Piggy,
Thats not really what I was looking for. More so what procedures I should have done when dealing with someone in that situation. As I read the forum I am starting to see that treating it just how I would a car accident or any other trauma situation. ABCs, SAMPLE, QRPST and all that.

piggy16

Forum Probie
Well that's a controversial topic. Some think that you have a moral/ethical obligation to help. Some think that it is a liability and legally risky. Still others think that it is dangerous to help (at MVCs for example). But if you want to help, there is not much that you can do. Anything beyond the basics could get your cert pulled. Also you mention that certain things weren't covered in your class. I think its most advisable to just call 911 and leave it at that if you are unsure of what to do. Lastly, I am from the U.S. so the laws between here and Canada could differ...

medtech681

Forum Ride Along
magicman,
i too am from the states and as piggy states our laws could be different, but if you feel a need to help just dont exceed your level of training and use the basic rules you stated earlier. at least your trying to make a differnce in the patients outcome

Laur68EMT

Forum Crew Member
Sounds to me like you want to be able to do more - like you've got the EMS bug. :) Aside from practicing the skills you're certified for, you should consider going further in your education.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Hi guys,
I am a medical first responder and volunteer fire fighter in nova scotia. I just recently got my medical first responder tag. the course didn't cover much about fainting/collapsing/stomach pains and all that kind of stuff.

Put me in a situation where someone has been involved in some kind of trauma and I am golden but just the other day on vacation I was checking into my hotel with my son and a female flight attendant was lying on a chair in bad shape. I overheard that 911 had been called, the woman was very dizzy, had severe stomach pains, was throwing up and was extremely weak. she was being cared for by 2 other flight attendants who were putting cold towels over her forehead and giving her fluids. paramedics and fire eventually came but by that time I was ready to go and didnt want to rubber neck.

About 2 weeks ago a girl had collapsed at a food joint and was conscious lying on the ground and was awaiting paramedics to arrive. An off duty paramedic was looking after her.

My question is what should I have done in these situation. As a first responder awaiting an ambulance or determining if an ambulance is needed what can I do? Primary assessment of checking pulse, breathing rate, pupils, pain/injuries.

When I get home I am going to do some major reading in my textbooks as I find that coming across situations like this aren't uncommon and I want to be able to know what to do.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Here's the deal. Outside of not breathing, no pulse, or having all of the blood shooting, with an impressive arc, across the room, there's not much you can do in these situations as a medical first responder. You're not going to fix the issue. Medics can't fix the issues either. Here's why.

Case #1. The flight attendant more than likely had either the stomach bug or food poisoning. Puking's a good sign. It's the body's way of purging itself of something bad, unless they're dry-heaving. If they're puking, then they're NPO. As a medic, I'd start a line and give a bolus replacing the fluids she lost and have a trash can handy for when she pukes again. I'd also pray to God it doesn't come out the other end as well before we get to the hospital.

Case #2. Too many variables. Could be a cardiac syncopal episode needing a cardiac monitor and an IV for ACLS drugs. Could be a seizure needing an IV for benzo's. Could be another hypovolemia needing an IV for fluids as above. Could be a CVA needing ALS management. Could even be somedody who just didn't want to pay their bill.

Now what you can do (this is what I do as a Good Samaritan even as a medic) on any of the above, or other, scenes is to assess any and all pts all the while enhancing the calm of everybody on scene as a medically trained person until more advanced/appropriate care arrives. Once they do arrive, give a report of what you found, offer assistance out of politeness (expecting to not be needed), and be on your merry little way.

Knowledge, assessment, and calming reassurance are by far the best tools anyone could have as a Good Samaritan.

Scout

Para-Noid
1. bin, TLC, maybe keep the hair back, call a taxi to hosp.

2. bit of a SAMPLE history to give the ambulance crew if needed, would you feel ok with seeing if it was just a faint because she had no fluids or such, then advise to go rest, if not sure call a bus.

beyond the initial ABC, talk and reassue, determin if amb is needed.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
enhancing the calm of everybody on scene as a medically trained person until more advanced/appropriate care arrives. Once they do arrive, give a report of what you found, offer assistance out of politeness (expecting to not be needed), and be on your merry little way.

Knowledge, assessment, and calming reassurance are by far the best tools anyone could have as a Good Samaritan.

Best response ever! Being able to bring some control to the scene and preventing anyone from doing something stupid is the best use of your skills.