what to do

Flightorbust

Forum Lieutenant
So i have my NREMT now. I have absoutly no desire to be a firefighter. One of our local departments is a 50/50 department though. The break it into 3 sections. Dispatch medical and fire. I talked to em and they have told me that as soon as i get my drivers license back i can join. Im going to start medic school not this spring but the following spring. Is this my best option to get experiance. I want some street exp before i try to get hired for an ambulance company. You think this will be my best option or can you think of any other options out there

OP
OP
F

Flightorbust

Forum Lieutenant
In colorado if you dont pay the fine within 2 months they automatically suspend it. I have it almost paid off. Its not for anything bad just lack of money recently

Sasha

Forum Chief
In colorado if you dont pay the fine within 2 months they automatically suspend it. I have it almost paid off. Its not for anything bad just lack of money recently

What did you do that the fine was so high you couldn't pay it?

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I find it hard to believe you will get a job any time soon with a suspension for any reason on your record. Have you looked into if you're actually insurable to drive an ambulance?

Sasha

Forum Chief
I find it hard to believe you will get a job any time soon with a suspension for any reason on your record. Have you looked into if you're actually insurable to drive an ambulance?

Not all places require you to drive. He can probably find a job at a BLS service. We have a few non drivers and I was a non driver for awhile because I scared some partners. Now I drive like a grandma.

OP
OP
F

Flightorbust

Forum Lieutenant
It was for no insurance. Thought I had it but it had lapsed about a week previous. After court cost ect it was $1500. The department requires that you have a license. I may not be able to drive but you have to have a license to even do the dispatch part. Makes no sense to me but it is what it is. Im not going to try to get a job (paid) as an EMT yet. Thats why Im trying to get some street exp first. I want to put some time between when I get my license back and when I apply.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Sorry, I forget sometimes that where I live, attendant only/non drivers exist. They do, but it's rare.

Paid > Volunteer > No experience

I think that's the way a lot of places think. I think a lot of them will even consider volunteer experience as no experience (even if it's like the same thing).

I personally think going to school right away is the best route, but in my area, it's giewed nrgatively. Medic jobs are very scarce where I live too. Does your area hirerno medics with no experience? Are there jobs? Also consider that your driving record and age, regardless of what for and how mature you are, may make it near impossible to get a job where you live.

OP
OP
F

Flightorbust

Forum Lieutenant
Im 29 so Im not to worried about the age situation. There are several places that are hiring medics. Here or in denver (45 min north of me) Im trying to avoid doing zero to hero. I still have to do my bio 201 so theres no way I can get into medic class this year. I figure the more exp I can get the better off I am.