What should have been done?

emtfarva

Forum Captain
Yeah, I understand completely with the posts, and I appreciate the help which is why I posted this in the first place :)

She wasn't intoxicated or under the influence of anything. She knew where she was, what she was doing, did not slur speech, etc. The reason she did not want to take the ambulance was because she didn't want to make a scene of it, I told her it would be best to go on an ambulance, but she refused. The Clark Police Department provide the free taxi upon notification of a refusal. The students are encouraged not to use 911 for whatever reason the University has, I am not educated on the exact reasons why students are told to call Clark Police dispatch. Once Clark dispatch gets the call they page us and we respond. Meanwhile, the MedStar is tied into our radio system so they hear what is going on and can be in direct contact with us or dispatch, generally though they just sign on to a frequency when they are notified by Clark dispatch. As far as I know, the ambulance is only dispatched along with us for certain calls on campus, all other times we get there and we get permission from the patient to get an ambulance and we call it in. Usually police are on scene to help as well. No treatment for shock was indicated. When she "crashed" I mean more that she went from being pretty normal other than the pain to sweaty with some slight paleness and clearly showing signs of extreme pain. The ambulance got to the scene so quickly that we didn't even have time to do anything more for her.

one more thing, I would really look into why students are not encouraged to call 911. and like i said again if you get any complaints you are not comforable with just have the ambulance come with. Is this within your guidelines? don't let yourself get screwed over because they didn't dispatch an ambulance with you. On this case if I was a first responder I would have called a ambulance anyway. The Pt could have died before she got to the cab. don't let her decid what will cover your but. she should have been evaled by an emt or medic. let them take the heat if she refused. I think thats it...

Farva