What qualifies a person to be a good caretaker?

BuddingEMT

Forum Probie
I have ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) and I take Adderall for it. So I have two quick questions:

1) Will my prescription medication show up on a drug test and get me falsely accused?

2) Will this kind of disorder impair my ability to provide critical care?

Which leads me to my next question,

3) What qualifies somebody to have a life put into their hands?

vquintessence

Forum Captain
Well since Adderall has amphetamines, all ya should really have to do is inform your employer PRIOR to them calling you into office. Secondly, don't worry about ADD... we're almost into the second decade of Y2K and "ADD" is disgustingly over-diagnosed. I wouldn't be too concerned with your employer holding that against you, unless it severly hampers your daily performance.

Qualifications you ask to be in healthcare?

Education and an understanding that within medicine education is paramount and forever evolving, calm demeanor, compassion with a silver lining of cynicism, maintaining physical and emotional physique, etc etc.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
1. YES, Adderall will register a positive amphetamine reading on even the most generic 9 or 10 panel urine drug screens. You need to disclose this information prior to testing and ensure it is documented on the chain of custody form.

2. YES, it possible that Adderall will interfere with your abilities as an EMT. Amphetamines increase both your heart rate and the contractility of the heart. Tachycardia and hypertension are two common side effects. Add those to a stressful moment (which you will have plenty of) and physiologically you may not be able to function let alone utilize any critical thought process. Dizziness is another common side effect. Your employer may have an issue with you driving while under the influence of Adderall.

As a side note, if you plan on pursuing a career in EMS and obtain your Paramedic certification, understand that your specialty options will be limited if you continue to take Adderall. You will not be allowed to work on many international projects and, should you decide to pursue an air medical career, understand that you will not pass an FAA flight physical while on Adderall.

You may benefit from a re-evalaution of your condition and obtaining a second opinion may be a really good idea.

3. See above answer, well spoken V!

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
You cannot be disqualified for employment based on a legal prescribed medication that you are taking unless it impairs your ability to perform the tasks assigned in such a degree that it cannot be assisted with reasonable accomodations for your disability.

That's the legality. However, if the job market is tight and there are a lot of other people applying for the same position, you will probably be tossed out fairly early in the process. It will be listed as some subjective criteria unrelated to your disability, but it will probably be done unless your credentials, your personality and your appearance are so stellar that they over-ride the issues associated with your medication.

Sometimes reality just sucks!

WannaBeFlight

Forum Lieutenant
Before you get tested, you need to have a legal document from your prescribing doctor stating the reasons for the medication ie: ADD, ADHD etc...and in the letter it just needs to state which med you are currently taking. This letter will need to be given to your instructors, probable employer before DABU, urine drug screen. these letters typically need to come from a secured fax line from a medical clinic or in a sealed envelope with an original signature. Hope this helps, I work in a Family Practice office and we do lots of these. thanks.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Before you get tested, you need to have a legal document from your prescribing doctor stating the reasons for the medication ie: ADD, ADHD etc...and in the letter it just needs to state which med you are currently taking. This letter will need to be given to your instructors, probable employer before DABU, urine drug screen. these letters typically need to come from a secured fax line from a medical clinic or in a sealed envelope with an original signature. Hope this helps, I work in a Family Practice office and we do lots of these. thanks.

I bet you do a lot of them for jobs outside of EMS.

WannaBeFlight

Forum Lieutenant
We do alot of those in general...Troopers, PD, FD, EMS, DOT etc... We are directly affiliated with a Hospital so we have the proper set up for those tests. But yeah, lots of pee pee. :p

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
We do alot of those in general...Troopers, PD, FD, EMS, DOT etc... We are directly affiliated with a Hospital so we have the proper set up for those tests. But yeah, lots of pee pee. :p

My point is that those who have med issues are less desirable employees for many reasons. Their meds issues are something that will need to be addressed. Better hire the guy who didn't need the extra work. The liability of knowing that an issue exists removes the excuse of plausible denial when the issue the meds treat are brought up by an atty as the reason their client suffered at your hands.

It doesn't need to be true, doesn't need to be fair, but it does happen. The risk managers will do everything to lessen the risk associated with employees. Now, if they know you and love you and there aren't 20 others standing in line for your job.. it may not be an issue.. but when there are tons of applicants without the issue.. you will not make the final cut..... period.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Andronein, look at it this way...

Your employment in the EMS realm might be tough, but the skills are valuable.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
ANdronein, this doesn't mean you can't be a good caregiver.

What it takes is motivation, proper education and certification, and a means to remain on task and meet the requirements for care. This can be helped through tricks of organization, finding positions with routines you can fall back upon. "Caregiving" is a big big field and you don't have to swing from ropes or put tubes down people's esophagii to make a huge difference in people's lives through care giving.

Having said that, and saying I've known people with clinical ADD who did OK in prehospital EMS, let me also add it was very hard for them and they had to undergo a lot of encounters with management because of lapses in their organization, especially in the paperwork arena. Follow your heart, but use your head.

RDUNNE

Forum Crew Member
You may benefit from a re-evalaution of your condition and obtaining a second opinion may be a really good idea.

That is the best advice you can get. I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was a kid and took Adderall for 4 years before my parents took me to get a second opinion. The second doctor said it was BS and that I was perfectly fine. I would highly advise getting a second opinion.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
What makes a person a good caretaker? Superior skills, a wealth of knowledge and education, and keen judgment.

OP
OP
BuddingEMT

BuddingEMT

Forum Probie
That is the best advice you can get. I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was a kid and took Adderall for 4 years before my parents took me to get a second opinion. The second doctor said it was BS and that I was perfectly fine. I would highly advise getting a second opinion.

I have gotten a second opinion. My mom didn't believe the first doctor so we went to a different one and the results were the same. Granted, I was diagnosed when I was 17, much later than most people with ADD. Now that I've been on Adderall for a few years I've been starting to wonder if it's going to affect my career.