What made you want to be a Medical First Responder or EMT?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I think many security departments should make MFR a standard, either for hiring or part of the initial training. Security officers look like goons when people ask for their help and all they do is stand there, the classic observe and report.

OP
OP
M

mfrjason

Forum Lieutenant
I agree with you there chimpie,security officers should be trained in either mfr or at least basic first-aid and cpr so that way they can be doing something other than just standing there. One time I was filling out an application at the mall for a security job and I overheard a radio call-in for an ambulance request cuz some lady had fallen,so I told the secretary that I was a first responder but I dont think she heard me so I finished filling out the application and rushed to where the lady was at and showed the security officers on scene my ems badge,and they acted surprised when I showed up,so I took over the scene til medics and fire dept first responders arrived and turned it over to them and gave the medics my report.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
I remember doing all of the Boy Scout merit badges, like Lifesaving, Emergency Preparedness, First Aid, and Wilderness Survival. That's probably when I decided that I wanted to do something in health care.

In 1994, I took an EMT-B course. I finished it but like a flaky college kid, didn't do anything and moved to Seattle for a few years. What I learned in class came in handy a few times, one of those times being when a gang related shooting happened right in front of us.

After the Dot Com Boom went kersplat I finally decided to get back into things, so I went back to college and took all of the classes again. This time I went all the way and finished the National Registry stuff and actually got a job in the field. ;)

I love it. This field is addicting.

Oh, and I'm adorable in a uniform, and nurses are hot. ;-D

premedtim

Forum Lieutenant
I remember doing all of the Boy Scout merit badges, like Lifesaving, Emergency Preparedness, First Aid, and Wilderness Survival. That's probably when I decided that I wanted to do something in health care.

In 1994, I took an EMT-B course. I finished it but like a flaky college kid, didn't do anything and moved to Seattle for a few years. What I learned in class came in handy a few times, one of those times being when a gang related shooting happened right in front of us.

After the Dot Com Boom went kersplat I finally decided to get back into things, so I went back to college and took all of the classes again. This time I went all the way and finished the National Registry stuff and actually got a job in the field. ;)

I love it. This field is addicting.

Oh, and I'm adorable in a uniform, and nurses are hot. ;-D

That last line is the best damn answer I've seen in this thread yet, lol. ;D

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
My mom was a nurse from the old 3 year diploma nursing school, (1958-wow!) I knew at a young age I wanted to take care of people. I saw ole Johnny and Roy and squad 51 when I was 12 years old and have had a love affair wirh EMS ever since! :wub: :wub: KMG365!!! B)

trauma1534

Forum Captain
I had a best friend from birth on through my childhood, we were the same age. When we were 16, she was killed in a car accident. It threw my world upside down. How was I going to hang with? Who was I going to talk to when I needed someone to confide in? Who would be there for me the remainder of my life as she had? I got interested in EMS from that point on. I was inspired by her death to do my part to make a difference in that teen's life who was in that car accident. I made it my mission not to just learn the material, but to be the very best I could be at what I do. So... there it is! That's why I am in EMS.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
That last line is the best damn answer I've seen in this thread yet, lol. ;D

What, about the nurses? ;)

That's another thread entirely, but I seem to encounter quite a few attractive nurses in the ERs. Maybe I'm just in the right place at the right time. And it's been a long time since I've encountered a mean, surly nurse.

I'm probably long overdue. Just watch.. my next 24 will be awful. ;)