What made you get into EMS?

Flightorbust

Forum Lieutenant
I took my EMT class because I figured it would look good on an application to radiology school. I ended up enjoying EMS and decided that it was a better fit for me.

NJN

The Young One
I lost a bet.

heatherabel3

Forum Lieutenant
I'm also new here and will be starting EMT school next month. I have known this is what I wanted to do since right after high school. I was the unrestrained passenger in a car wreck, we rolled a GEO Tracker and I went out the back passenger window. When it was all over I sat up, blood coming out of my head, couldn't feel my hands, scared out of my mind, and started totally FREAKING out. Then the medics showed up. He made me lay down and then he put his hand on my head and told me it was all going to be ok and I believed him. I knew right away that I wanted to be that for someone else.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I'm also new here and will be starting EMT school next month. I have known this is what I wanted to do since right after high school. I was the unrestrained passenger in a car wreck, we rolled a GEO Tracker and I went out the back passenger window. When it was all over I sat up, blood coming out of my head, couldn't feel my hands, scared out of my mind, and started totally FREAKING out. Then the medics showed up. He made me lay down and then he put his hand on my head and told me it was all going to be ok and I believed him. I knew right away that I wanted to be that for someone else.

Very cool story. Welcome to the forum.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I was kidnapped and raised by pack of rabid wolves.

Devilz311

Forum Crew Member
Both of my parents are medics. My mom got me into a volunteer squad when I was 16, and I started EMT school at the same time. I had initially started the prereq's for Nursing school, but ended up going to Medic school instead. I really don't regret it though.

epipusher

Forum Asst. Chief
I became a medic in the hopes a forum regarding the subject of EMS would come around and I could post about how everyone is wrong about everything.

DarrenA

Forum Ride Along
what made me want to become an emt

Well I am getting into an EMT career because in 2002 I was involved in a Friendly Fire Accident in Afghanistan where an American Air National Guardsman Dropped a 500lb Laser Guided bomb on my Company doing a live fire training exercise just off of the Kandahar Airfield base. There was 4 who died and 8 seriously injured. I was one of the first people into the blast area, and was helping a medic with a person who did not end up making it off of the soil. I really remember that and will always remember that. I know it has been 10 years and it took me this long to get to where I am today. I have balanced a few jobs since I got out and this is where I want to end up. I don't know how well I will be as a Medic, I have lots of worried and fears as I am now venturing into the second part of training without having any hands on experience with dealing with Patients (hands on in an ambulance yet) I have been reading posts on what makes a good medic, your kit and various other threads. I have talked to emts and Paras about this career and there is a bit of doubt with me because I can't control every outcome that is thrown my way. I worry about messing up on my patients (and I know that school will teach me alot and I still have 2 months until I start my emt school) but hey I am sure we were all nervous before we started and had hands on our first real pt. Now that I am rambling on, I am going to go and colour my Anatomy flash cards and do some studying. Have a great day.

LukaPL

Forum Probie
Well it might seem weird but I get here by accident.
Im an immigrant from Poland, married in US used to work some dead end job with no idea what to do. One month I got two speeding tickets and my wife went crazy on me. Tried to joke about that and said: I wish I could be (forgive my ignorance back then ) ambulance driver so I could drive fast and not getting tickets. My wife was much smarter and said that there is no ambulance drivers there are EMT's. I asked her how long is the EMT school. When she said one semester I told her to sign me in (anything would be better than my dead end job). After couple classes I forgot about fast driving and fell in love in EMS. Now Im basic for 4 years and this friday Ill attempt to pass my Paramedic national registry and looking forward for maybe not well payed but rewarding career.

The economy.....plus a little bit of a desire to help the needy.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
My brother is an officer so i became the firefighter.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2