What kind of Hours would you work as a Part-Time EMT-B

hurt88

Forum Crew Member
Reason why I ask is that right now I work 32 hours a week at my current job at 4 days a week. Once I get done with my EMT-B course I would like to get a job as a part-timer and do that while I go to school to become a Paramedic.

I hear alot of people saying they work 12hour shift or 24 hours shifts etc, etc...so with that said could I be looking at maybe only working 2 or 3 days a week as a part-time EMT-B and basically getting 30-40 hours a week still? Or does it work different from place to place? I'd love to work just 3 days a week at a 12 hour shift and take in 36 hours a week while going to school.

CAO

Forum Lieutenant
It really depends on who hires you.

One company I've applied for has a few EMTs who only work a shift every two months or so.

OP
OP
H

hurt88

Forum Crew Member
I'd hope I'd be able to get something better then 2 shifts a month. Being able to quit my current job and work part-time as a basic while going to school for medic is something I'm really looking forward to so I hope its possible to get atleast 3 days a week or some sort of guarnteed hours.

rbromme

Forum Crew Member
I am a part time EMT-B and I am required to work 32 hours a month I think. I can sign up for 32 hours a week and then pick up open shifts that are available if I wanted more hours. Some of the part timers work 60 or 70 hours a week and some do the bare minimum to keep themselves employed. The bigger the company you get on with, the more options that will be available to you.

CAO

Forum Lieutenant
That's what they want to work. Some of the part timers are pulling full time hours. It mostly depends on what you're willing to work.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
it depends were you get picked up but I think for part timers 12s are pretty standard. we have a lot of part timers and those with seniority can work as much/little as they want while those with low seniority work 2-5 shifts a month.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Many services separate "Part Time" with "Per Diem". Pt denotes a regular shift which equates fewer then 32 or 40 hours a week. PD denotes inconsistent shifts-- although as well, fewer then 32 or 40 hours/week.