What is tiny BVM port for?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
A cohort asked me what it was for and I couldn't say. It resembled the tip of a glue dispenser, a little nipple with a red plastic cap over it, the cap fastened to the nipple with a leash. It leads immediately into the valve (not the mask per se) assembly downstream from the one way valve. I cannot find it in an online picture right now, and at least Laerdal's manuals don't show it. Too small to admit a nebulizer mist, no structure to create a mist. It doesn't inflate the cuff. Resembles the nipple on some pocket masks to optimistically addf more oxygen, but, if so, why not just add O2 at the proper end?

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
If it goes straight into the valve could it be to blow the valve out if it gets goop in it?

Bosco836

Forum Lieutenant
A cohort asked me what it was for and I couldn't say. It resembled the tip of a glue dispenser, a little nipple with a red plastic cap over it, the cap fastened to the nipple with a leash. It leads immediately into the valve (not the mask per se) assembly downstream from the one way valve. I cannot find it in an online picture right now, and at least Laerdal's manuals don't show it. Too small to admit a nebulizer mist, no structure to create a mist. It doesn't inflate the cuff. Resembles the nipple on some pocket masks to optimistically addf more oxygen, but, if so, why not just add O2 at the proper end?

http://steroplast.co.uk/assets/products/images/358/large_ambu.jpg?1315566173 - Sort of like the red plastic cap seen here right above the mask?

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Swing and a miss for bbg lol

I can't wait till somebody asks me this on the truck so I can pretend I knew it all along.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

OK, makes sense. Still seems like it wastes a lot of med versus what makes it on board.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

With the mainstream use of IO, pretty much makes the port obsolete as the uptake and distribution of medications VIA tube is so unpredictable.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Yeah, sounds sloppy. First trans-tracheal injection I saw was epi right into the cuff of the trachea tube. Pt was dead anyway.