What if: My EMT-P Program loses accreditation?

johnmedic

Forum Crew Member
I'm wrapping up the internship phase of my EMT-P education. & soon I will take my NREMT. In a nutshell: Found out my program is on Academic Probation & has been for 3 years. Next month the board of accreditation is making a ruling.

Two Things:

1. I have been told that I will be "Grandfathered" in to certification if I'm not certified by then, since I've completed all of the didactic learning. Yes? Regardless, I will almost certainly be certified before then.

2. (Main question) What effects will the (potential) loss of accredation have on my future education? Are there any other certifications that would require that my Paramedic Program still be accredited in the future?

Tommerag

What day is it?
It shouldn't really affect you. After Dec 31, 2012 the NREMT is requiring paramedic students graduate from accredited school to test. Until then I don't think it will really make to much of a difference. If your competent as a medic you should be able to find a job somewhere.
http://hultgren.org/news/07/07-075.html

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Same thing happened to me. I was in the middle of basic class and one day the building was full of state inspectors asking us questions and going through the schools records. We all did a little research and found out that the school had less then a 10 percent pass rate for the NREMT. Luckily the school didn't get its accreditation yanked. I guess it just goes to show "buyer beware" applies to education just like anything else you put money into.

OP
OP
J

johnmedic

Forum Crew Member
Tommerag - :D Thank you, good to see it in writing.
& BigBaldGuy - Re: "Buyer Beware" no kidding. If I had done my research I would have gone to one of the other programs no question, but now I'm embarrassed to say that I just figured a medic school is a medic school & I chose based on proximity.. :glare:

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I chose based on proximity.. :glare:

Yup that's exactly why I went with the basic course I attended. It was only a 5 minute drive away and it was fast. I wish I had gone to a different program as well but it is what it is. If I do go on to do my intermediate or paramedic class (or even nursing) I will be very very picky about where I go and I will definitely sacrifice some time on the road for a good school. In the meantime I'm having to work extra hard to fill in the blanks my less than stellar school left me with.

Tommerag

What day is it?
um.....find a new program?

I would suggest that to, but considering he's almost done. I dont think he would want to start from scractch.

byoung57

Forum Probie
As long as you are completing all of your examination attempts by 12/31/12, you will have no problems. Continue to focus on your studies.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator: