What extent do you begin to require a medical director?

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Just curious, in California, at what extent of your level do you begin requiring a medical director? Obviously if you're going to be administering O2, or medications you need one. But what if your services are only for first aid BLS skills (cspine, splinting, icing, etc), CPR and AED? Since you're not administering medications, do you need a medical director? All the equipment can be purchased without an RX legally as well.

This would be at a standby, like foot ball game, concert, field tournaments, etc, where you go, stabilize injuries, and perform an assessment / basic treatments to make the 911 turnover smooth.

samiam

Amazing Member
In most places in order to practice at all you need a medical director. All of the little things you do when you follow simple protocol and guidelines are technically "standing orders" written by the medical director overseeing your service. In reality there is no autonomy for anyone below a physician he is always the one on the hook and he gives orders to nurses pa's emt etc. That being said there is nothing wrong with wearing a t shirt that says first aid on it and doing all of the things a emt does more or less as long as you are not doing it negligently. I can take a really good first aid course and have all u listed in my car and help someone out if needed.

To do what you want to do without a med director I dont think you can even mention you are an emt. Just roll up as the first aid guy and be a non negligent good samaritian. None of this is legal advice. I would check local regulations to ensure just having your emt license would prevent you from doing this

Also u can for sure NOT get paid for any of this.

OP
OP
E

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
In most places in order to practice at all you need a medical director. All of the little things you do when you follow simple protocol and guidelines are technically "standing orders" written by the medical director overseeing your service. In reality there is no autonomy for anyone below a physician he is always the one on the hook and he gives orders to nurses pa's emt etc. That being said there is nothing wrong with wearing a t shirt that says first aid on it and doing all of the things a emt does more or less as long as you are not doing it negligently. I can take a really good first aid course and have all u listed in my car and help someone out if needed.

To do what you want to do without a med director I dont think you can even mention you are an emt. Just roll up as the first aid guy and be a non negligent good samaritian. None of this is legal advice. I would check local regulations to ensure just having your emt license would prevent you from doing this

Also u can for sure NOT get paid for any of this.

That's the issue with the payment part. It wouldn't be for volunteer or anything.