What do you think?

AyeSpy

Forum Ride Along
Hi guys. I made a post here about a month ago or something and I got some good responses. I decided to come back because I have yet another question. I'm currently serving in the Navy as a Master at Arms (Military Police) here in Virginia. I plan on only doing 4 years of active duty and then coming out and becoming either a police officer or paramedic. My friend (who is also interested in becoming paramedic) talked to one of the firemen at the station on base. They told her we could work at the station on volunteer work and they could train us to become EMT-P.

What do you guys think about this? I was looking at finding a college that offered EMT courses but I figured working volunteer work at an actual station would give me much more experience. They said we would get the training for free since we are active duty military. At the least, this should help me on any resume I fill out in the future, right?

I just wanted to know what you guys thought about this. I got the number to the fire captain on base and plan on calling him after I knock out a few qualifications here at my command. I also plan on taking a couple online college courses but I should be able to do most of those while at work (security is easy business!). Advice? Comments? Concerns?

Thanks a lot guys!

piranah

Forum Captain
paramedic school isnt something you can learn on the job only....i went through 11 months of classroom,6 months of clinicals the actual in feild training is 150-300 hrs of ride time and then the time precepting after your licensed.and then the testing time period(however long that takes you)......

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
Do it!!! even though some military medic training will not suffice in the "real world" or civilian world take the leg up for free and get the knowledge. you may have to do the program again once you get out to meet state standards but at least you will be so far ahead of your class you can relax and make medic school.... dare i say fun?

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Any experience in the field will be beneficial. If they will send you through a training program that allows you to take the NREMT Paramedic exam at the end then definitely take the course. If the program you go through isn't recognized by the NREMT it is still experience and training which will not hurt you at all but in this circumstance you will probably have to retake the civilian courses at some point.

P.S. on active duty military any college courses you take should be 100% paid for in the first place and you still have your GI bill when you get out. If you find out the program they offer isn't recognized by the NREMT I'd see if you can find a civilian school near your duty station that will work out with your schedule.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Check your CLEPS stuff too!

COnsider being a GS civilian firefighter?

reaper

Working Bum
Are you sure that they did not say EMT-B? You can obtain that through a FD and through the Military. I have not seen any voll FD's that train to Paramedic and the military training does not carry over to civilian life Paramedic.

If they will train you to EMT-B, while you are still in the military, I would take it. Then when you get out, you can go directly to medic school.

bowulf

Forum Probie
I have not seen any voll FD's that train to Paramedic and the military training does not carry over to civilian life Paramedic.

I have been a part of two vol departments (one only as a spouse of a member) who have done that. Both of them were in towns of 5000 people. My current one has trained two people to the PS level, so it does happen. I think it helps when you already have one, got the AlS service designation, and then the one paramedics gets tired of being on call 24x7.

Paladin

Forum Crew Member
From one Navy man to another, here is what I did. See, I am a reserve HM so naturally I assumed (never do that) I would get some sort of reciprocity. I did not, but i did get to take the EMT-B class for free. Now, me being a Corpsman, it was difficult "forgetting" some things I cannot use as per the Basic protocol but I passed it and then I worked on getting street time in. That was 3 yrs ago now and I am still a Basic just thinking about Medic school now.

For you since you are an MA, what about seeing what exactly this Vol squad can do for you and just like the military move on up in the ranks. Start out as an EMT, get some street time under your belt doing patient care and then if you decide it is what you want, go to medic school. It is better to go the long way and be a good medic then take the shortcuts and be a half *** medic.

Stay safe

Paladin