What do you think of this?

OP
OP
F

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
I thought that they'd be more progressive than that, when you say Decent pay what numbers are we talkin here?

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
I thought that they'd be more progressive than that, when you say Decent pay what numbers are we talkin here?

I don't think progressive could ever be applied to pfd ems. From what I can tell, their medical director is a douche - a yes man to the city. Anyhow, their pay scale can be found at phila.gov. They start at 40ish and max out at 59ish based on a 40 work week. They get 2 hours OT every week so actual pay is higher. It's not spectacular, but it's more than most (all?) jobs in the surrounding counties. I think you max out after 5 years, but I could be wrong. OT is plenty so it's not hard to bank a lot more (I have heard plenty about medics making over 100k thru OT). Not totally sure of their benefits.

325Medic

Forum Lieutenant
What were the legit calls mostly? Did you see a lot more Trauma than Medical?

Did you ever consider working there? What was pay/benefits like?

Well, back then, on the one side of Broad St. (which is a large thorofare) we got alot of medical, large italian population with CHF and M.I.'s. On the other side was the knife and gun club, butting up against a large amount of projects (which have been torn down now ) and S.W. Philly with Universiy Of Penn. Trauma a little ways away. I will not comment on the way P.F.D. is run for I do not work there / I work in the burbs but I know quite a few medics that work there that are unhappy / a few that went to the fire side of things. I wanted to work there when I ETS'd from the Army but decided to work the county. The way I see it. Too few medic units, crazy amount of B.S. calls and abuse of the system big time.:glare:

systemet

Forum Asst. Chief
To be sure, the guys that precepted me were good guys and no doubt they could handle what was thrown at them when it hit the fan, so I think it is important to remember there are some great medics with PFD who love the job and do not live up to all the bad stories that get tossed around. As usual I'd cite the city, the FD admin, and the general FF culture for the crap chute that is EMS in Philly.

I should emphasise that I have no first hand knowledge of the system. And I don't want to talk badly of the people working there. It just seemed from my friend's stories that they were under a huge amount of stress, and working in a very difficult environment.

Thanks for correcting me where I was in error!