What do you think is the minimum appropriate age to enter EMS?

What is the minimum appropriate age for entry into EMS?

• Total voters

C.T.E.M.R.

Forum Lieutenant
Here in CT. you can be certified at 14 as an EMR and at sixteen You can Become an EMT I think that 18 would be better for EMT. Most ambulance providers wont take anyone under 21 in my area, a few will take at 16, Granted even if at EMT it is as an extra. I grew up around the whole EMS/fire dept deal so i knew a lot going into the EMR. I managed to complete the course at fifteen at the top of the class the only other young person was 19. I think everything should be a case by case bases after 16. I wont even think about getting my EMT until i have at least close to a years actual tech experience, Granted i don't mind if you get EMT at 16 but any minor should be only have the power of EMR not EMT until they mature enough. I know a few people that were EMTs that just got to nervous doing the job and they were 40+ and i trust an 18 yo EMT over them. A big issue is being able to handle the job at any age.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
I think 18 is a good age to starts with EMS - doing BLS and further training. Maybe around 20 for a paramedic performing ALS. But then again, some 18 year old are more mature and have better people skills than many 20 year olds etc

mp5dude

Forum Probie
I started EMS This Year @ 17 while still in my senior year of highschool. I was an FIRE explorer on the Fire department in my city and decided I liked that a lot more than Fire Fighting. Got my Certs when I was 18 and I got Licensed over the summer.

292adam

Forum Probie
I knew I wanted to help people ever since I saw someone die when I was 4. EMS was the clear choice since it would be impossible to get into fire at an early age. I tried to take EMT when I was a junior but the ROP told me that I was too young. I took EMT in my senior year of high school, I was 17. With people in their mid to late twenties I graduated at the top of the class and I was the only person to pass the final on the first try. I also passed my NREMT on my first try. I think it depends on the individual however I felt as if I was mature enough to delve into this profession. I hope to go to medic school in about a year. Btw I was an explorer also for the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, I was pretty set on becoming a sheriff's deputy up until I started working as an EMT.

Last edited by a moderator:

emtchick171

Forum Lieutenant
At my service we have a "junior member" program - you can begin when you're 15 and carries you through until you're 18. I think this is a great way to introduce younger people to the rescue/ems field. As a junior member they CANNOT give any type of medical treatment, but they can run calls with us and be an extra set of hands while getting wonderful hands-on experience and seeing what the EMS field is like.

In North Carolina you can begin the EMT class at the age of 17, but to take your state certification test you must be 18.
- - I was 17 when my basic class started, turned 18 in the basic class and then took my state test when i was 18. I also began working with EMS when I was 18.
- - I will be 20 when I finish my paramedic.

I don't think age has as much to do with the career as maturity level, there are some of our junior members who I would trust with my life (if they were properly trained) while there are some EMT/Medics that have been doing EMS for a long time and yet, I still wouldn't want them to splint my broken finger...

firecoins

IFT Puppet
The proper age to get into EMS is 20 because no one has picked it.