What Do You Like Better Fire Or EMS

certguy

Forum Captain
1.gif

RidRyder (Who is a Critical Care medic AND an RN) has, as usual, hit the nail on the head. Adrenalin is good... to a point. But if you do stupid things because "it's the big one".. you are going to make mistakes and kill people... perhaps even kill yourself.

We need to take a few deep breaths before we go racing down the stairs and screaming out of the station... we need to remain calm and collected to do our job correctly.

Jon

Well said guys . Here's another thought . Size up , get into the habit on every call from the time you respond till it's over .

paramedix

Forum Lieutenant
I respect the fire guys, but I do not want their job. I am quite happy to have done my Fire Rescue and Rescue Technician, but I think I'm stuck in the EMS.

AlaskaEMT

Forum Crew Member
I'm into the Ladder 49 stuff, but no thanks on the toaster fires. I'd rather bring people back from the dead.

Last edited by a moderator:

Epi-do

I see dead people
I am a civilian EMT for a fire department, and while I love the guys I work with, I am way to smart to run into a burning building! LOL!

Seriously though, I have no desire to fight fire. I enjoy the firehouse culture, and am fortunate to be able to be a part of it, but I will stick to EMS and leave that other craziness to the rest of them.

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
well, I believe that you can't have one without the other, or at least thats how we operate here, the FD provides 1st response for P1 ALS and BLS calls, extrication, technical rescue, SAR, all to help out the EMS, and it's also their job but anyways...EMS provides pt. care and anytime there is a possible or confirmed structure fire there is an ambulance dispatched and it does not leave the scene unless there is a pt. in it or it is released by the on scene fire command, so here we all work together and provide service not only to the public but we help out each other also..I'm really starting to hate the FD-EMS rivalry thing people try to get everyone talking about in here...why can't we all just get along:sad:? lol

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
why can't we all just get along:sad:? lol

Because it is a power and many times an ego thing. As well, you have to remember that EMS is a business albeit volunteer, F.D, third-party, hospital, etc. With this is business actions such take overs, job and performance duties, command, etc. It does not so much occur at the grunt level, but at higher administration levels.

What would one expect?

Even if the role is of EMS public safety or medical, cannot be defined?

I believe we need to again model ourselves somewhat similar to our neighbors to the North. The F.D. does not appear to be eager to be in the EMS business and as well allow EMS to do what they need to do. They will assist, but not actively attempt to be the primary source.

R/r 911

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
I have been rididng

on the Ambulance for almost 3 years now, and as soon as i hear our tones go off my heart starts racing, guess its because i havent seen "everything" yet.