What do you call an ambulance?

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Ambulance "names"

The rig! unless you give them pet names. We have our type 3 BLS unit that we call "Ethel". "Ethel" is kind of old and tired, and a big girl! ^_^

Katie

Forum Lieutenant
rig, unit, ambulance, boo boo box :p

AJemt

Forum Crew Member
truck i think is most common. also used are rig, amblance, buggy, unit, bus, bamblance, ambo, vanambulance or vanbulance, and beast. in reference to the transport units/wheelchair vans - tard cart, window licker van.
in reference to a specific ambulance - either by number (the number 5 bus) or unit number (6-12-3, 3-8, 7-2); or by name - ie Christine (an old truck you had to be nice to or she wouldn't work, for ex one day the crew put her in drive to pull out of hte bay and she went backwards till they shut her off and restarted her), Banana Beast (another old truck that had a big yellow stripe down the side of it and REAL airhorns instead of just the junk ones most of hte other ambos have - also had the old cloth bench seats, etc.)......piece of s**t, and hunk of junk.

gcfd_rez31

Forum Probie
well where i work, we have the van-type ambulances...

we sometimes call them the "trauma twinkies", "clown car", or "rig".

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Tard cart... haven't heard that one in a while... but I've heard it before for a paratransit van.

Jon

paramedix

Forum Lieutenant
You call it a bus here, they presume you work for a school. Never heard of that until I seen it on the EMS forums. We call then units, or rigs, truck in slang.

R/R 911

Yip we call it a bus...

But we have a pvt company over here, we call their vehicle "smarty boxes" cause they have a whole lot of dots and different colors. Our vehicles... Anything from "meat wagon" to "disco rider".

Ops Paramedic

Forum Captain
Maybe a bit off the topic, but what you call a fly car, we cal a Response Car or Romeo vehicle.

As for the ambulance...it depends a lot on how quickly you need the vehicle, or on how long you have been waiting for it as to what it will be called on that particular moment...

To Rid: Sometimes it feels like i work for a school, a nursery school!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Short Bus

Forum Crew Member
Truck or Unit most of the time. Depending on who we are hauling, it maybe a big white taxi or the Short bus. Our convo trucks are called slug buggys or granny getters. If they have a real pt on board they are GALS trucks. Geriatric ALS.

MAC4NH

Forum Crew Member
In the paid departments we call it a truck. On the volunteer side it's always a rig.

aussieemt1980

Forum Lieutenant
My 3 year old Daughter calls them an "Ambludance" which is pretty cute. Every siren she hears its "Hey Daddy, is that an Ambludance?"

I have used the term truck, bus, spew truck, frog mobile (in NSW for a while we had ambulances that said "ambulance" or "paramedic" on them - the frog mobile was for the paramedic ambulances), "you piece of rotten ******* ***** ****** ***** ***** ****** ***** *****" (a very old Mitsubishi L300 that would have gone faster over the side of a cliff - i threatened to do it. Supervisor thought I was joking - it was in another organisation), taxi, confined space truck (inside the back of course), "where the hell has that gone again" mobile.

brassguy

Forum Crew Member
I work for a private company, we usually call it an "insurance taxi"

aussieemt1980

Forum Lieutenant
Insurance Taxi - lol, will have to remember that one...