What do Y'all think of this?

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Where Did the Medics Go?

I stole this from another site, that stole it from another site, that stole it from the original site.

Any opinions?

medic03

Forum Lieutenant
interesting... it makes some good points about how the fire service treats us, but I don't agree with the view on EMT's. They, just like the medic does have to think about what's going on with their Pt. Ture, they don't have to do drug calculations at 4am, but they didn't go to school for that.

Phridae

Forum Asst. Chief
Its an okay essay. It doenst apply much to the way things are around here. Things are seperated here. Not fire and rescue. Its fire, and over there, rescue.
Here the medics and the emts work well together.

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
I will agree with the fact that the paramedics may have to think more... they went to school longer and accepted that responsibility. But as far as EMT's not needing to think as much I disagree. Every Paramedic I ride with grills me on the way to a call, if able, to make me think. If we are on the same page the pt. is afforded quicker treatment as we both know whats needed and we get the job done. There are also times running for the volunteer department were I am the one left thinking as the only help I have is a first responder. This leaves me in the situation where I need to decide on ALS and if its not available make the decision, chopper go?, meet where?, or scoop and diesel therepy. So I guess my opinion is if you are on a rig responding to any call ya darn well better be thinking, or move on to stocking shelves at a super market.... :lol:

Phridae

Forum Asst. Chief
Originally posted by coloradoemt@Feb 2 2005, 07:17 PM
I will agree with the fact that the paramedics may have to think more... they went to school longer and accepted that responsibility. But as far as EMT's not needing to think as much I disagree. Every Paramedic I ride with grills me on the way to a call, if able, to make me think. If we are on the same page the pt. is afforded quicker treatment as we both know whats needed and we get the job done. There are also times running for the volunteer department were I am the one left thinking as the only help I have is a first responder. This leaves me in the situation where I need to decide on ALS and if its not available make the decision, chopper go?, meet where?, or scoop and diesel therepy. So I guess my opinion is if you are on a rig responding to any call ya darn well better be thinking, or move on to stocking shelves at a super market.... :lol:
Well said.

We were talking tonight about how much thinking we actually do before we get to a call. More over when do we start our assessment. The moment we get toned out for say, an allergic reaction, I'm immeditaly thinking of what are the signs and symptoms of an allergic reaction, what are my treatment options? I'm already assessing the situation before I get to my car.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by coloradoemt@Feb 2 2005, 07:17 PM
Yeah, an EMT still has to think, but a great deal of EMT skills I have heard referred to as "muscle memory" - CPR, BVM, B/P, etc... things you could do with both hands tied behind your back.

and the greatest point is that of the dopamine drip - not tremendously difficult, but easy enough to F-up at 3am, 20 hours into a 24 hour shift.

I can think of no reason any EMT or Medic should have to be working 24 hours continuious. The only way it ever works is if you are at a "slow" company, and can count on 6-8h of sleep, or more (even if it is 3p-11p ;) ) And that can go wrong too easily in bad weather, or on a really bad day.

The fedral goverment doesn't let truck drivers work 24 hours straight, so why are EMTs and Medics allowed??? We drive, and we are expected to drive at the edge of the envelope, B.T.T.W., screaming lights and siren - not just pushing 68mph down I-95....

Jon

Luno

OG
Premium Member
I can think of no reason any EMT or Medic should have to be working 24 hours continuious. The only way it ever works is if you are at a "slow" company, and can count on 6-8h of sleep, or more (even if it is 3p-11p ) And that can go wrong too easily in bad weather, or on a really bad day.
I don't see why they shouldn't be, from someone who not only worked 24hr shifts, but did up to 72hrs on at a time, yes, if you don't take care of yourself it can get to you, but the 24hr and even the 36hr shifts I never saw a problem. You do learn alot about your habits though, you realize that you have to sleep when you can, you realize that you can't overdo the coffee (you'll have an unbelievable time trying to counteract the down), you learn that hydration is vitally important, and will make the difference at hr 20. You learn how to eat, what not to eat and how and when to eat, you basically have to change your life around a 24hr schedule, but it is very doable, and isn't as difficult as people think it is, if you have the discipline. This was also in a very busy station supporting 3 FDs with 5 stations and running facility calls in between, with only two rigs. The hours were long, but if the pay was better, I'd still be doing it.

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@Feb 3 2005, 08:28 PM
I can think of no reason any EMT or Medic should have to be working 24 hours continuious.
I whole heartedly agree...

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
I have to agree with the rest and disagree with Luno - having worked in jobs with those types of hours, I don't think it is safe for EMTs and Medics to work under those conditions.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
I have to agree with the rest and disagree with Luno - having worked in jobs with those types of hours, I don't think it is safe for EMTs and Medics to work under those conditions.

Especially since you have to drive fast, think fast; and shouldn't fall asleep while working someone who is CTD....

Why in the world would an EMT or Medic work 72 hours straight?

I worked 64 hours straight once and screwed up my whole pattern of sleep, and balance between normal life for a month. I was able to stay up all night, but not during the day... And on a weeks vacation, THAT SUCKS!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Blueeighty8@Feb 7 2005, 09:13 PM

Especially since you have to drive fast, think fast; and shouldn't fall asleep while working someone who is CTD....

Why in the world would an EMT or Medic work 72 hours straight?

I worked 64 hours straight once and screwed up my whole pattern of sleep, and balance between normal life for a month. I was able to stay up all night, but not during the day... And on a weeks vacation, THAT SUCKS!
Yep....Second that

Jon

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Feb 7 2005, 04:55 PM
to heck with only EMT's and Medics... why should anyone be allowed to pull a shift like that?

Summit

Critical Crazy
My 8.5 day schedule starting 0700 tomorrow. 48 on, 24 off (in which I have class and a test), 24 on, 24 off (in which i have class and another test), 48 on, 9 off 6 on, 16 off, 6 on.

I'm kind of stressing. I've never pulled 120 hours of work in a 7 day period (then another 12 hours)

MCSHughes

Forum Probie
It's a good article. It points out well why EMS/Fire aren't always a good choice, you can't serve two masters. I personally wouldn't tolerate much of what the author had to abuse for a mere job. There are way too many paramedics needed to take that nonsense, but again, it sounds like there's a major lack of leadership at that department. Here, EMT's are integral to our organization and do quite a bit more than it sounds like the EMT's in the author's service area.

One way things WILL change, is when the paramedics realize they have a lot more power than to take the abuse that a lot of supervisors/systems want to try. Those days can be OVER.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
MCSHughes,

I deleted one of your posts since it was an exact duplicate of your last one. Just wanted to let you know.

Luno

OG
Premium Member
Summit, hey man, it's all fun and games, or something like that, if I have any words of advice, avoid caffeine, except in emergencies, (hahaha) and drink lots of water, go easy on the food, I've learned the hard way that it's really hard to fall asleep when you're miserable, i.e. hungry/thirsty/cold etc... and make sure to catch up on your sleep before your next rotation.