What books did you use?

uglyjon

Forum Probie
We are using Emergency Care (12 edition) for our EMT class. I really think it could have been organized better but it is what we have to use. What books did you use?

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
I've noticed that about that same book.. It does seem out of order in some spots.. Not that I'm an expert on writing textbooks, but there's so many places that say "(which you will learn about later, in Chapter 38)".. But it's working for me, my class is moving at a lightening pace, and I have at least one chapter to read everyday.

I do like the book because it's easy to write notes from. All the key terms in each chapter are laid out, important items are in bold and italics.

I also like the workbook that goes along with it, but I wish they concentrated more on Street Scene discussions and critical thinking exercises. It seems like those are valuable discussion points.

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
We used that book too. The instructor did not go through the book, chapter-by-chapter, in order. We did cover the entire book and it's contents, just not in order. I forget which chapters we skipped and came back to, but the presentation of the class made sense.

EMT B

Forum Captain
Dan Limmer is a great guy, and he has some great apps to help with studying.

My class used AAOS Emergency Care and Transport of the Sick and Injured 10th

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Pearson Pre Hospital Emergency Care 9th Edition

patzyboi

Forum Lieutenant
Emergency-Care-and-Transportation-of-the-Sick-and-Injured-Student-Workbook-American-Assoc-of-9780763792565.jpg

512S9QXWM9L.jpg

technocardy

Forum Crew Member
For my EMT-A course:
  • Emergency Care and Transport of the Sick and Injured [9th Edition]
  • EMT-I Textbook
  • EMT-I Workbook
  • Pediatric Education for the Prehospital Professionals
  • Geriatric Education for the Prehospital Professionals
  • International Trauma Life Support for the Prehospital Providers
  • Paramedic: Pathophysiology
  • Medical Terminology
  • Arrhythmia Recognition The Art of Interpretation

Gwammy

Forum Ride Along
I'm an EMT instructor and we use Emergency Care (12 edition), but we don't follow the order of the chapters.

adrenalin

Forum Probie
I'm currently taking the EMT-B class as well, we are using Brady's Emergency Care 12th Ed. Personally, the book is alright, there are times I have to ask my class mates if they understood something that I didn't. I am more of a hands on learner, so the labs are where I learn the best.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Emergency Care 2nd edition, Gray's Anatomy, and the Merck Manual.
(1977)

kaisardog

Forum Crew Member
we used AAOS in the emt b course. I was unhappy with that book, so i went to used bookstores and online and bought :

1) a used Limmer , a great book which i found IMHO to have much better explanations of certain practical skills than AAOS;

2) a used EMT B test study guide, with a CD

3) an edition of PHTLS, and

4) an AAOS student workbook

i mainly used Limmer to study. my school got us a subscription to Limmer's online interactive study guide which was extremely helpful. i passed my state boards with a score of 94. the PHTLS is interesting but many levels above where I am on the EMT planet right now....:cool: