What are your thoughts on SEMS?

SnaKiZe

Forum Crew Member
SEMS: Student Emergency Medical Services.

I will be attending the University of Arizona in the Fall and am most likely going to join this club on campus, which is comprised of NREMT-Bs, who are also state certified.

As some of you know, the UA is well known for it's medical research like CCR and etc etc., and according to the faculty founder of the club, who is also a health educator for a health center, we actually have medical direction from the on-campus University Medical Center, as well as full cooperation from the Campus PD.

Do you guys think this is a good idea or half-baked idea?
Thanks! :D

sirengirl

Forum Lieutenant
SEMS: Student Emergency Medical Services.

I will be attending the University of Arizona in the Fall

All I can think about is how many ETOH calls you'll get in the dorms on the weekends....

Anyways other than that, sounds like fun I guess :huh: we never had anything like that in my colleges but then again I've never gone to a university. I just worry about the legal implications of allowing students to treat other students.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
All I can think about is how many ETOH calls you'll get in the dorms on the weekends....

Anyways other than that, sounds like fun I guess :huh: we never had anything like that in my colleges but then again I've never gone to a university. I just worry about the legal implications of allowing students to treat other students.

As long as they're properly licensed, have medical control, and aren't sharing other student's information, I don't see any problems.

sirengirl

Forum Lieutenant
As long as they're properly licensed, have medical control, and aren't sharing other student's information, I don't see any problems.

Oh no I understand that, I just worry how much fun it will be with the first girl is like "whhaaa they touched me." Hopefully my worry is unfounded. Also- would you be using those golfcarts with the stretcher modification? That might be kinda cool.

feldy

Forum Captain
While i am not on my university's ems...i have some friends on it and they seem to like it. Call type and volume vary by school/location. Some only cover events or run a sprint car. Others (like my school) are full transport.

I dont see it any different than a college aged person working for a company or municipal service.

izibo

Forum Crew Member
Are you sure you are not thinking of ASU? Arizona, unless recently implemented, does not have a Student EMS program. TFD / Southwest is responsible for medical issues on campus.