What are my chances with this injury?

OP
OP
L

lonegreywolf20

Forum Probie
Is there a vollie service out of your community yet within travel range?

See if you can start, maybe as dispatcher, or got through the training.

Not that I know of. The one I'm talking about is the only one in the county that I'm aware of. My other problem is, I am unable to travel long distances in my car. My car is older and not very reliable.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Can you get a CNA or HHA job ?

Preferably at a hospital. Practice taking vitals on those patients to figure out a work around.

I am vollie-ing for experience. It is in NYC, we rarely get phone requests if ever. We gwtr jobs by buffing 911 or NYPD radio. I just watch on the serious cases.

The experienced guys train me by finding mexican/central american guys lying on the sidewalk. We approach, do an assesment, package and take them to the ER as intox patients, and do a PCR....I get pratcice doing vitals and packaging patients and presenting my patient to the triage nurse.

They know what we are doing and the ER nurses dont mind if its not busy....

OP
OP
L

lonegreywolf20

Forum Probie

Preferably at a hospital. Practice taking vitals on those patients to figure out a work around.

I am vollie-ing for experience. It is in NYC, we rarely get phone requests if ever. We gwtr jobs by buffing 911 or NYPD radio. I just watch on the serious cases.

The experienced guys train me by finding mexican/central american guys lying on the sidewalk. We approach, do an assesment, package and take them to the ER as intox patients, and do a PCR....I get pratcice doing vitals and packaging patients and presenting my patient to the triage nurse.

I would have to go and take a CNA course or HHA course to be certified in either of those capacities.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
In New York, the HHA classes are free.

Its not the best job granted but it is work and they do offer health insurance.

Regardless, I hope your situation improves.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I used to be an orthopaedic case manager for a County.

Lawyer up, get a bulldog who will work on contingency. You can frighten them into doing the right thing, assuming it is not too late anyway. Or at least take a bite out of them. Good luck o getting much for any cash settlement, though.
Second, if you are physically capable (find out the physical criteria and get your MD to certify you can do it), they cannot fail you on that basis. If they do, it is probably in violation of the Americans With Disabilities Act; if they perceive you as handicapped, when you have objective documentation to the contrary, they are in abeyance. You may find yourself working for a boss you've already ticked off, though, and probably lose any medically indigent funding you have had to date.
Get thee to a lawyer.
PS: ah, also, in our County once you have filed suit you also lose medically indigent funding. Go TALK to a lawyer first.

Last edited by a moderator:

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief

Wait, you drive around racially profiling unconscious drunk guys ........

Second thought, never mind I probably dont want to know the answer :wacko:

paemt

Forum Probie
Wait, you drive around racially profiling unconscious drunk guys ........

Second thought, never mind I probably dont want to know the answer :wacko:

Thanks CAOX3 -- I was thinking the exact same thing but wasn't going to say anything figuring I was simply "mis-reading" what he wrote - though not quite sure how I could - LOL

paemt

Forum Probie
Rsd

I saw a medic at the ED yesterday who looked like he had RSD... his left hand and left foot both "curled" up. He limped, and had obvious lack of ability with one of his hands, but he is a medic for the busiest service in our state.

First, I must say I am pleasantly suprised to hear that someone here actually knows what RSD is. I have encountered many EMT's, Medics, and even physicians who are not familiar with this illness. Secondly if this particular person you saw was actually working with it at the level of the disease process described I would be just as shocked. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, just saying it would be an extreme challenge on many levels.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Thanks CAOX3 -- I was thinking the exact same thing but wasn't going to say anything figuring I was simply "mis-reading" what he wrote - though not quite sure how I could - LOL

I am the newbie, I follow along.

We find them lying in the sidewalk. It is always mexicans or central americans who speak spanish.

We help them out, bring them to the hospital er. Maybe it is their prompting to get help. There are spanish speaking chapters of AA in Brooklyn.

JeffDHMC

Forum Lieutenant
I know a medic that has one arm. I think the buggered finger shall serve you fine. Apply for any and all jobs.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
for the OP

I would take the lawyer advice.

Something does not sit right with me, you had insurance, but no provider would take it....

What would it hurt to visit a few attorneys?

Also visit municipal/state/federal representatives.

If you are not working now, then why not put some effort into it.

I hope everything works out for you.

b2dragun

Forum Crew Member
I would look into what is classified as disabled. Your only training is as an emt, if you can't do that it might be a disability. If you can't afford anything try contacting the media. Tell them what is going on, they might do a story. This could help either getting the insurance to be scruntinized into helping or you might find a hand doc that will do it pro bono for the free good press. Human interests stories always seem to get someone wanting to help.