What am I getting myself into

Briana Rodriguez

Forum Ride Along
I have been wanting to become an EMT for years now. I start my training in july. But I've never talked to an active EMT before. What am I getting myself into and is it worth it?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
You will not get rich. As an EMT-B you're likely to make just over minimum wage. There's not a lot of career potential even at the medic level unless you find a good department.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Briana, I think a lot depends on why you're getting into the field and what your expectations are -- pretty much like starting any other career. Why do you want to be an EMT?

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Minimum wage, odd working hours, and a weird work schedule. Same could be said at the medic level, unless you find a good fire dept or a good private company.

rroop32

Forum Ride Along
I think it depends on where your at. Delaware fire companies run a mix of staff, majority volunteers, then a paid ambulance crew. Then the county supplies the medics. As a basic now, im making over double the minimum wage, and some people that have been at my employer for 10+years are making upwards of 18/hr or more being a basic. Depends on where your at and what company your working for. But you wont rich by any means. If your in this for the money, you picked the wrong career.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser

Jondruby

The PLS of BLS.
Umm...irregular sleep patterns a lot of coffee. Stressful situations but you are helping people so its great. It is a very rewarding job but you will see some stuff that will hang with you. I highly recommend it.

Jondruby

The PLS of BLS.
Not to deter you from this job. Some people are cut out for it and some are not thats just the facts of the case. You become a tight nit family with your crews. I am very happy with what I do. For me I am a ambulance junkie, I am in my element when I get on our rig.