Well no more Paramedic course for me....

Hockey

Quackers
So a little bit ago, I received a phone call that basically was a kick in the gut.

I'm currently doing the Michigan Works No Worker Left Behind program. Basically its 5k a year for 2 years up to 10k of training in a high demand profession. Have to be unemployed or make under 40k.

All my paperwork submitted for paying my Paramedic course and I got a phone call from my case worker at Michigan Works. She said I'm going to have to be placed on a watlist until more funding is available. She said she didn't know how long that could be. Maybe a few weeks, maybe not till next fiscal year.

So I asked if I made a down payment on the course, would that be alright. She said no because once I pay for it, they can't pay for the course.

Said I'll hopefully hear something in the coming weeks.

All I have to say is wow. Thanks for a kick in the stomach

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
I'm not sure about your area, but in southern California there are medic programs available for less than $5,000, they also happen to be at city colleges which allows students to take out federal and private loans.

Seems to me that taking out a loan could be an answer. $5,000 dollars really isn't that much for a career training program. Compare that amount to the 20k-160k that a bachelors can set you back.

Just my .02

OP
OP
Hockey

Hockey

Quackers
I'm not sure about your area, but in southern California there are medic programs available for less than $5,000, they also happen to be at city colleges which allows students to take out federal and private loans.

Seems to me that taking out a loan could be an answer. $5,000 dollars really isn't that much for a career training program. Compare that amount to the 20k-160k that a bachelors can set you back.

Just my .02

I'm already in 20k in student loan debt from my other degree program

They don't get financial aid programs because this is a "private education" program.

All the public school places don't start till next year or are REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY far away.

Does anybody know if there is grants or anything out there?

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
fastweb.com

If you're good at writing essays and/or have a good story, there's good money to be found.

A lot of the essay contests and scholarships have very few people apply to them and your chances can be quite good.

OP
OP
Hockey

Hockey

Quackers
fastweb.com

If you're good at writing essays and/or have a good story, there's good money to be found.

A lot of the essay contests and scholarships have very few people apply to them and your chances can be quite good.

Problem is its not a "college" for say so that is where you run into the problem I think

I checked out JEMS but there isn't anything that really applies to around here...

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
http://www.fieldmedics.com/supportservices/scholarship.htm

Scroll down to scholarships section
http://www.jems.com/resources/grants_and_awards/index.html

Michigan specific program:
http://www.maemt.org/ScholarshipProgram/tabid/134/Default.aspx

http://www.naemt.org/Libraries/NAEMT News/Congratulations to recent scholarship winners.sflb

There are probably more, that was with a simple google search. If you really want it and don't want to pay for it on your own dime it will take some hard work and resourcefulness, best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain
Hockey,
That really sucks, hope you hear in a couple of weeks.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't know where you're going for medic school, but check out financial aid.

OP
OP
Hockey

Hockey

Quackers
I don't know where you're going for medic school, but check out financial aid.

Can't. MMR is a private agency. I asked about pulling some stafford loans or something but because they aren't an actual college or anything like that, no can do.

They only have one scholarship but they are currently interviewing for that already and you have to be an employee. I'm not an employee yet.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Can't. MMR is a private agency. I asked about pulling some stafford loans or something but because they aren't an actual college or anything like that, no can do.

They only have one scholarship but they are currently interviewing for that already and you have to be an employee. I'm not an employee yet.

Why are you set that you have to goto MMR? Fall is coming up and the programs will be starting all over soon. Call around and see what they can do for you.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
A lot of paramedic programs (college based and otherwise) will work out a payment plan with you.

My school was $3000. About half the people in my class have payment plans where they do like $300 a month, or do a set amount upfront and pay the rest off.

They really don't have anything to lose unless you fail: they can hold back your NREMT testing till you pay.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
A lot of paramedic programs (college based and otherwise) will work out a payment plan with you.

My school was $3000. About half the people in my class have payment plans where they do like $300 a month, or do a set amount upfront and pay the rest off.

They really don't have anything to lose unless you fail: they can hold back your NREMT testing till you pay.

$3000? :wacko: That wouldn't even get you half-way through my program. (I didn't research before I chose an EMT/Medic school)

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
$3000 is the average for college based and private based down here for the ones I researched, but of course there's more expensive. I saw some at $5000+.

But add in that they include ACLS, PALS, PHTLS, CPR class, all of our books, all of our supplies, and insurance for only that $3000 and it's a great deal.

TommyKeet

Forum Probie
Wow your programs are really exenspive! The program I just signed up for goes like this $185 to start class then after 16 weeks its another $175 then at 32 weeks another $175. This is of course not a degree program but con-ed. Also PALS ACLS ITLS are all included, you just have to buy your text books and workbooks.

OP
OP
Hockey

Hockey

Quackers
Why are you set that you have to goto MMR? Fall is coming up and the programs will be starting all over soon. Call around and see what they can do for you.

They are close. I've checked all over. McLaren doesn't start till October but is very long since its one day a week. Genesys doesn't start till next year. BayMed in Bay City starts also later this month. Mid Michigan is kind of far for me. Checked out MAES but thats a distance too. I figured I would be the most dedicated if I went to a close school instead of driving a long ways. LCC has a lot of pre-req's which I don't have plus you have to submit your application to even be considered in April for the Fall '10 class. Fall '09 is full.

Waterford EMS Academy is already full

MMR has a decent program. It may not be the best, but it doesn't require me to drive 100 miles every day for class.

I called and left a message for Michigan Works in another region just west of here. Problem is I have to start all over in the process. Maybe they will let me just come in for a 1 day all day deal and get all the paperwork submitted. Who knows.

I have the motivation now to take the medic course so I really feel I need to do it now

OP
OP
Hockey

Hockey

Quackers
Wow your programs are really exenspive! The program I just signed up for goes like this $185 to start class then after 16 weeks its another $175 then at 32 weeks another $175. This is of course not a degree program but con-ed. Also PALS ACLS ITLS are all included, you just have to buy your text books and workbooks.

Your Paramedic course is only $535 plus books? I really doubt that

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
They are close. I've checked all over. McLaren doesn't start till October but is very long since its one day a week. Genesys doesn't start till next year. BayMed in Bay City starts also later this month. Mid Michigan is kind of far for me. Checked out MAES but thats a distance too. I figured I would be the most dedicated if I went to a close school instead of driving a long ways. LCC has a lot of pre-req's which I don't have plus you have to submit your application to even be considered in April for the Fall '10 class. Fall '09 is full.

Waterford EMS Academy is already full

MMR has a decent program. It may not be the best, but it doesn't require me to drive 100 miles every day for class.

I called and left a message for Michigan Works in another region just west of here. Problem is I have to start all over in the process. Maybe they will let me just come in for a 1 day all day deal and get all the paperwork submitted. Who knows.

I have the motivation now to take the medic course so I really feel I need to do it now

What about Macomb CC? Oakland CC?

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
Sorry to hear you might not be able to go this year. I didn't really have the money either but I was able to work out a payment plan. Essentially every two weeks I pay 100$. (Long program).

Only thing I can say is try to work it out, payment plans, private loans, whatever.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
So a little bit ago, I received a phone call that basically was a kick in the gut.

I'm currently doing the Michigan Works No Worker Left Behind program. Basically its 5k a year for 2 years up to 10k of training in a high demand profession. Have to be unemployed or make under 40k.

All my paperwork submitted for paying my Paramedic course and I got a phone call from my case worker at Michigan Works. She said I'm going to have to be placed on a watlist until more funding is available. She said she didn't know how long that could be. Maybe a few weeks, maybe not till next fiscal year.

So I asked if I made a down payment on the course, would that be alright. She said no because once I pay for it, they can't pay for the course.

Said I'll hopefully hear something in the coming weeks.

All I have to say is wow. Thanks for a kick in the stomach

Hockey,
Is there any way you can find a roomie in the Detroit area? DMS express, CEMS, Healthlink...one of those have to be hiring Basics (same company). LSTI has a new Sheriff in town. Been hearing better things about their program. Seems to be making strong efforts toward improvements recently.