Weird practical scenario question

EchoMikeTango

Forum Crew Member
I am applying for a EMT job, and my friend applied last year. He told me about his trauma station and said it was what lost the job for him. Here is the set up

You are alone. You find a man who fell off a ladder. The PT is in the supine position and not responsive. Breathing is normal and not labored. Basically the vitals are in acceptable limits. No apparent deformities, bleeding, etc. However the PTs legs are through the 1st and 2nd rung of the ladder. How do you acquire full spinal immobilization by yourself, and secure the PT to the back board?

This was the question. I do not know why there was no other crew member, but how would you handle this?

CAO

Forum Lieutenant
Call for assistance.

Unless there are other patients, you're going to have a partner to assist you. Who's going to drive you back, assuming you're teching?

Last edited by a moderator:

Amycus

Forum Lieutenant
I am applying for a EMT job, and my friend applied last year. He told me about his trauma station and said it was what lost the job for him. Here is the set up

You are alone. You find a man who fell off a ladder. The PT is in the supine position and not responsive. Breathing is normal and not labored. Basically the vitals are in acceptable limits. No apparent deformities, bleeding, etc. However the PTs legs are through the 1st and 2nd rung of the ladder. How do you acquire full spinal immobilization by yourself, and secure the PT to the back board?

This was the question. I do not know why there was no other crew member, but how would you handle this?

This question has to be a trick. You can't do this by one man.

Edit: To expound a bit further on this...

Full spinal immobilization basically requires holding manual stabilization. You need another body to do that. Could you essentially hold stabilization and do a semi-emergency drag to level him out in an anatomical position? Sure. However, is an emergency drag even remotely mandated? Heck no. He's in no apparent distress at this time.

That said, if you really want to maintain immobilization, you NEED a second body. If I threw caution to the wind I could get him on a board myself but that's obviously totally discounting immobilization, which defeats the point.

Trauma scenario.

BSI (check)
Scene safety (check)
ID the mechanism of injury (a fall, check)
Identify number of patients (1, check)
Consider additional resources (BAM, RED FLAGS, STOP HERE, yadda yadda)

Last edited by a moderator:

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
It's a trick question. Help not already being there doesn't mean it isn't a phone/radio call away. Call for assistance, maintain manual stabilization of the head.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
My pre-employment scenario had ALS and fire 20 minutes away, so I had no help. Pulled some guy off the street to drive the ambulance. Lucky for me it was a medical call so no immobilization required.