We have a pandemic on our hands...

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/un_un_swine_flu

The World Health Organization declared a swine flu pandemic Thursday — the first global flu epidemic in 41 years — as infections in the United States, Europe, Australia, South America and elsewhere climbed to nearly 30,000 cases.

The agency has stressed that most cases are mild and require no treatment, but the fear is that a rash of new infections could overwhelm hospitals and health authorities — especially in poorer countries.

Hopefully this will stop all the civilians going "Oh it was just government hype"

Last edited by a moderator:

JonTullos

Forum Captain
I see the real concern is getting overwhelmed but as far as the actual disease, I just don't see what the big deal is (assuming the usual treatment is sought and as long as it doesn't mutate).

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
If the head of the CDC and the WHO are worried about it, you bet your butt I will be too. They have many more years of education on stuff like that then most anyone in the world.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
If the head of the CDC and the WHO are worried about it, you bet your butt I will be too. They have many more years of education on stuff like that then most anyone in the world.

I'm not overly concerned.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I'm not overly concerned.

Do you think some of your patients might be? Do you ever transport sick or injured patients? If I was sick or injured I would be very, very concerned about entering an ambulance or a hospital even without the threat of the flu.

I have yet to see a single person die of it that didnt have underlying health issues. So I am not worried one bit.

Most flu patients are not going to die in an ambulance.

Try working in an ICU and you might see a few deaths from the flu. You might try hanging out in a busy pedi unit. I'm sure they may have a child die of the flu at some time and maybe even two or three.

We notify the Dept of Public Health and the CDC when we have a death from one of the causes on their list. It is up to them as to how public they make the numbers.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Do you think some of your patients might be? Do you ever transport sick or injured patients? If I was sick or injured I would be very, very concerned about entering an ambulance or a hospital even without the threat of the flu.

I was speaking about myself. Of course, I'm going to try and calm my patients and reassure them.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Thats a relief, for a minute I thought it said we have a paramedic on our hands, and the thought of Linuss being a Paramedic brought a fear into my heart like I have never felt. A little old pig flu is nothing to fear compared to that.

:p;):ph34r:

medic417

The Truth Provider
You'll pay for that in... (carry the one, add pi)

Umm...March-ish?

LOL. Hang in there it will get here faster than it seems right now.