Want Some Input please

KempoEMT

Forum Lieutenant
So I'm going through Basic right now. No biggie, Lots of fun. But being a Firefighter/Ambulance Person isn't exactly in my cards, with my work schedule and school. I've been Looking into the County Vollie Search and Rescue. Does anyone Think this is a good idea? I work basically right now a 4+ day work week and Have school I'm going thru. But when Basic is done, my schedule will be alot lighter and I can probably manage it more. Want everyone's $.02 worth. here is a link to the Organization http://www.marinsar.org/

Any advice/critisim is welcome. Not looking for a whole Vollie Vs. Employed Just want to Know if this would be something that I could use my Basic training in, or would I just be wasting the Training?

Last edited by a moderator:

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
sure, that will make use of your medical training. but you'll have to undergo more training in all the facets of sar that you would employ. whether that be urban search and rescue, wilderness sar, confined space, technical rescue, shallow water, swift water etc etc etc.

thats not a bad thing of course.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
If you don't have the time for EMS how is your work schedule going to work around a three or four day search? Our SAR unit only does about 16 calls a year, but some of those can be pretty extensive. I'd get really clear on what the expectations are of the SAR group regarding availability for calls.

Another thing, in SAR you won't generally get a chance to use your EMT skills as much and you will get rusty. Those of us who are not in other volly EMS departments do ride time with the local ambulance crews to keep our skills up. Also, our SAR unit doesn't provide the OTEPs for recert. So EMTs in our unit have to arrange for their own CME or they have to challenge the test every three years.

We insist that all SAR members are trained in Wilderness First Aid, and as Kev said, there's a lot more skills to be learned. Check and see if your SAR will want you to be certified as a NASAR tech. Our unit has a list of certain certs they want have. High angle, low angle, ropes systems, all have to pass NIMS plus the county has its own set of training every county employee has to pass, defensive driving, blood borne pathogens, workplace safety, etc. We only meet twice a month for training but in addition to that, we try to do about 4 - 6 weekend trainings a year.

If you are looking for an easy squeezy replacement for EMS, SAR may not be for you. I've also noticed that SAR groups tend to be a lot less tolerant of those who are not fully invested in in job. If you can't make calls, miss drills, you are simply asked to turn in your gear.

Oregon

Forum Crew Member
I don't get a whole lot of EMT specific stuff during the vast majority of the searches I go on, or the trainings, either.
I think a question you have to ask yourself is "would I have joined SAR before I got my EMT cert?" If the answer is yes, then maybe it is right for you.
I joined before I ever thought of getting my EMT cert, and have not regretted an instant of it.
Well, except for that time two days ago when I fell down and grabbed onto some devil's club. And that time two weeks ago when I got stung by bees four times in one search area. And four weeks ago, when I carried 12 extra water bottles and the team was still out of water before we were down that stupid trail. :rolleyes:
I get some time to use my skills volunteering for athletic events in the area, like the Livestrong Challenge and the Hood to Coast relay. 15 to 30 patients in one day, ranging from blisters to dehydration to full on cardiac events. Lots of hands on patient time, usually some form of weird lunch, and a T-shirt. Oh, and concerts/rallies/fairs. All of those have a defined start and stop time, unlike my SAR callouts, which have lasted from 1 hour standing around in a parking lot to a couple of days up in the mountains completely out of cell range.
Search and Rescue is my hobby, and I spend several days a month doing extra training and classes in addition to our group trainings each month. It can take all of your spare time, and certainly all of your spare income (Oh, the vendors at the SAR conference next month are getting my allowance:blush:)
There are better places to keep up your EMT skills.