Volunteering

danib77

Forum Probie
Reaction score
Good morning!
I am a new EMT-B and am volunteering at the squad that I did my student training. I had to have 12 calls documented during my precepting that I had patient contact, etc. Now I am volunteering and the day that I went for my orientation shift the medic on the crew wouldn't let me do anything, just watch. I told him that I did more than that when I was doing my precepting shifts and he looked at me like I had 3 heads.

I've done a few shifts since my orientation shift and it seems like unless I ride with the guys I did student shifts with they don't expect me to do anything except watch. I know that on ALS calls I understand not doing much but on BLS calls I should be able to handle it. Do I need to just give them time to get used to me being there or say something? I don't want to alienate anyone, especially because I am just starting out in EMS but I am not an 18 or 19 year old either.

Thanks!

As the new guy people need to get accustomed to your presence to begin with.

When I first joined my volunteer department I tried to spend a good deal of time hanging around the station. It's just a means of socializing and people getting to know you and feel comfortable with you and you them.

The other thing is, some people dont like to let others play in their sandbox. It may not particularly be you, it may be him.

Personally, as one of only a few medics in a department with about 12 AEMTs and 40 EMTs, I usually just grab the PCR and do paperwork and I don't step in unless necessary. If it is truly an ALS job, which 9/10 it isn't, I'm obviously going to get my hands dirty. The highest medical provider on scene should be delegating more than interveining if the circumstances permit.

Some people just like to micromanage and always have to be in charge of every last thing around them.

Welcome to the forums.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can offer to help -- e.g. "Want me to get that BP for you?" -- but don't turn it into an issue. Be a good soldier. You have plenty of calls ahead of you.

As the new guy people need to get accustomed to your presence to begin with.

When I first joined my volunteer department I tried to spend a good deal of time hanging around the station. It's just a means of socializing and people getting to know you and feel comfortable with you and you them.

The other thing is, some people dont like to let others play in their sandbox. It may not particularly be you, it may be him.

Personally, as one of only a few medics in a department with about 12 AEMTs and 40 EMTs, I usually just grab the PCR and do paperwork and I don't step in unless necessary. If it is truly an ALS job, which 9/10 it isn't, I'm obviously going to get my hands dirty. The highest medical provider on scene should be delegating more than interveining if the circumstances permit.

Some people just like to micromanage and always have to be in charge of every last thing around them.

Welcome to the forums.

Thanks so much for the insight! The way our crews are set up we have an EMT & a Medic at all times. Sometimes it even works out that there are 2 Medics and no EMT's unless I'm there doing ride time. It does seem to be that a lot of them who don't know me yet aren't too sure of me. LOL Gotta love being one of about 7 females at the squad. I think yesterday on shift I showed that I can handle myself- getting the stair chair unasssisted, taking the stretcher (empty) out of the ambulance by myself and getting it ready for the patient. Finally assisting the stair chair down to the ambulance to load the patient for the ride to the hospital.

I think the one thing in my favor is because I did my student training there most of the regular people know me by sight.

You can offer to help -- e.g. "Want me to get that BP for you?" -- but don't turn it into an issue. Be a good soldier. You have plenty of calls ahead of you.

Thanks! I am realizing that 10 years ago I shouldn't have put off my EMT training because this just feels right when I am there and running calls.

I usually will ask if they need me to get them anything, help in anyway, etc. Most of them have no problems asking for things or having me get the monitor ready when they are using it.

I understand where your coming from man. But then again, even on an ALS call, it wont be ALS without very good BLS. If u r the only BLS person on the truck then offer your services the best way you know how. It all starts with the ABC's, you will never get to the ALS without those. See if maybe on your next shift you can talk to the AIC and see about maybe being able to actually getting patient contacts on the true BLS calls.

I understand where your coming from man. But then again, even on an ALS call, it wont be ALS without very good BLS. If u r the only BLS person on the truck then offer your services the best way you know how. It all starts with the ABC's, you will never get to the ALS without those. See if maybe on your next shift you can talk to the AIC and see about maybe being able to actually getting patient contacts on the true BLS calls.

The whole BLS before ALS thing is complete nonsense. The patient needs to be treated properly and efficiently. A BLS provider can still assist the medic by trying to be aware of what help the medic may need down the line, but no one in their right mind would go with a BLS treatment to see of it works when they know the ALS treatment works better. There is no need to define levels, treat the patient to the best of your crew's ability.

The whole BLS before ALS thing is complete nonsense. The patient needs to be treated properly and efficiently. A BLS provider can still assist the medic by trying to be aware of what help the medic may need down the line, but no one in their right mind would go with a BLS treatment to see of it works when they know the ALS treatment works better. There is no need to define levels, treat the patient to the best of your crew's ability.

That's like the other day I arrived onscene in my flycar vehicle at the same time as the ambulance for a hypoglycemic.

One of the old timer EMTs walks in the same time as me and he starts barking orders to his crew that he needs glucose paste and oxygen immediately.

I had to kind of slow his role and explain to him that for starters we dont need to rush, his sugar is just low, oxygen is not indicated and I'm not waiting 15-30 minutes for a tube of glucose to kick in.

But at the same time, rather than throw them to the side I had them do vitals and Glucometry while I prepped for treatment.

As I was told when I was doing my student training- it's hard to kill a patient that is a BLS call. :rofl:

If there is an ALS call and the patient is stable, the medic is going to let me assist in some way whether taking manual vital signs, etc. or helping get the IV fluids ready, printing out strip from monitor, writing patient history, etc.

Back