Volunteering questions.

Glorified

Forum Lieutenant
I am currently looking to put my EMT-B license to use. I can either keep my full time restaurant job and volunteer on my days off, or try to get a job doing transports. I have Mondays and Wednesdays off, so I was thinking that I could volunteer on my days off and maybe an early shift before my restaurant shift ( 3 - @ 11). The town is a nearby suburb, here: http://www.town.falmouth.me.us/fire/news.html. Some other places accept volunteers too, but they are farther away.

How does volunteering work. Would I just go to the station on my days off? I would prefer this to getting paged and driving to the scene. (Does that even happen normally? Also, am I screwed even for volunteering if I am under 21? I would think that if they wouldnt let me drive, I would have to run as a third person. I wouldn't mind that, but how would that work exactly.

Thanks for any advice. I know that's a lot of questions.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
This varies wildly from agency to agency. Some have you sign up for specific shifts. Others have you carry a pager or radio and reply to calls as they happen, if you are available. Some are extremely formal in the response times, others not so much. Some have volunteers which augment a paid response team. Some are fire and EMS others just EMS. Some of the fire agencies require an EMT cert and some require their EMT's to be FF certified. There are as many different situations as there are agencies. I would spend some time and ask around in the area where you live and find out what they offer.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I looked at the site. They have 3 ambulances and full and part time paramedics with vollie helping out. I am guessing here but you may have to be on call, in uniform, at the building. Just a guess due to paid medics being on staff with only 3 ambulances.

A second guess if I may is that an EMT might be on a fire truck and respond before or with the medics in the ambulance. I am guessing that you may be a firefighter to be able to this part.

Last edited by a moderator:

mfrjason

Forum Lieutenant
Volunteering in some words means that you are not a fulltime person and have another life that you can make time for,if you are a fulltime person than you work X amount of hours on and X amount of hours off. When I worked for the service I made sure to be on duty at least 2-3 days a week unless you know you gotta work a 72 hour shift that weekend then I would only put in 1-2 days.

gnh2276

Forum Crew Member
Hello brother emt from maine I am a volunteer in eastern maine in a small rural community and I take 12 hours a week to put my license to use.