Volenteering.... Should I?

Rodeoin

Forum Ride Along
HEY,
I am a new EMR in Alberta, Canada I don't particularly want to do interhospital transfers. I may have an oppertunity to volenteer at a rural EMS/Fire station, I am not sure if it would be beneficial to me. I am planning on going back to get my EMT in either September or May, so experience might be one of the best things! Any one have any pros and cons for this?

THANKS

saskgirl

Forum Crew Member
I have never done volunteer so I'm probably not the best to speak to this, but I do know from personal experience that having a couple years of EMR experience behind me before doing PCP was so beneficial.

I also find that transfers, boring as they may be at times, are where you can learn lots! It also gives you time to practice pt assessments, in depth assessments and time to work on your bedside manner.

I guess it's up to you, but experience is never a bad thing!

OP
OP
R

Rodeoin

Forum Ride Along
Thanks, I am just not sure where or how to apply to get hired on as EMR for BLS. I am in southern alberta and some municipalities have decided to keep their city strictly ALS. Unfortunately, I am trying to avoid living in or new a big city eg) Calgary, Edmonton.
What kind of work did you do? If you don't mind my asking.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Volly, it's fun and you'll gain experience.

saskgirl

Forum Crew Member
Unfortunately, I am trying to avoid living in or new a big city eg) Calgary, Edmonton.
What kind of work did you do? If you don't mind my asking.

I'm a small town girl myself so I'm all for avoiding big cities :)

I work as an EMT/PCP for a smaller service run by a health region. I'm based out of a hospital during the day and I get to go home and sleep and just be on call at night. I also work in another section of the region 2 days a week doing the billing and coding for our pcrs.

It might not be the most exciting all the time but I'm pretty content.

crazychick

Forum Probie
I think that volunteering gives you mountains of happiness and knowing that you are still helping lives within your community!!!! Go for it. Its a great support system set up for you as well!

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Besides being an EMR for a fire department, what opportunities are there in the urban areas for EMRs? Alot of people go straight into PCP with no outside experience at all and do very well.

If preparing for PCP is what you want to do get some A&P and Pathophysiology texts or courses under your belt. It will make your program so much easier if you have a good understanding of those.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and welcome to EMTLIFE

Expat

Forum Ride Along
Volunteering is a great way to learn, as there is no pressure on you, and it's very rewarding. I started off as a non medical volunteer and got hooked very quickly. Be proactive and energetic and you will get loads out of it. When I started mt emt-b class it was a huge help all the things i had seen in the field, and all the experiences I'd had, over the people who had just done the occasional observation shift. And there is no downside to volunteering, you can generally go as frequently and it looks great on your resume, plus will help you get references and contacts for the future.

OIFXGunner

Forum Probie
I also find that transfers, boring as they may be at times, are where you can learn lots! It also gives you time to practice pt assessments, in depth assessments and time to work on your bedside manner.

Couldn't agree more. I've done both personally and you learn a lot from both, albeit the things you'll learn from each are different. The great thing about volunteering is that it's cheap and easy. Besides it will make your experience more diverse and therefore make you more marketable when you decide to go for a paid emergency job

OP
OP
R

Rodeoin

Forum Ride Along
Thanks so much everyone!

Now I'm just working on getting a job as an EMR its a lot more difficult that I anticipated, I'm also not sure how to have the best resume possible! Any tips?