Vitals Equipment/ First Shift Questions

HWhite98

Basic B*
So I started my EMT class like 3 weeks ago. Some of you may remember me asking about tips for learning the anatomy portion of the course. Well I've got all the anatomy/physiology down, wasn't nearly as complicated as I was expecting. So we were going to start the patient assessment portion of the course, but class has been canceled all week due to snow, and we are skipping the patient assessment, and are expected to have it down before next tuesday.

What equipment would you recommend I get for taking vitals. I want to get a BP cuff so I can practice on my family at home. We had a manual BP cuff at my house because my mom is a nurse but it no longer works. What BP cuff would you recommend I get? Or does it not really matter?

I already have a stethoscope, it is a Littmann. So that is covered. I also am looking for a good watch around $50 dollars, preferably a waterproof one. Do you have any recommendations on a watch I should get? Other then that are there any other items you recommend I get to practice my patient assessments at home?

So now to my second question/topic. I got accepted (finally) at the volunteer rescue squad I applied for a while back. My first shift is this Sunday, and I was wondering what to expect. I have done a couple of ride alongs with this department and this specific shift, so I sorta know the etiquette and atmosphere at the station. But now that I am a actual member and will be representing the department, do you have any tips for me? Do you think they will let me help out, for example like carrying equipment and getting the stretcher out of the ambulance? I'm just in general looking for tips from you more seasoned EMS professionals on what to expect on my first shift as a member.

Any ways, I apologize for how lengthy this thread is, I am just excited/nervous about starting my long path to hopefully becoming a paramedic.

Angel

Paramedic
i personally wouldnt spend more than say...$20 on a watch if I was you (ive never spent more than $10)...but if you have the money why not? Just get whatever BP cuff you can find, they all do the same thing, I like this version as opposed to this version though, simply because its easier to read the numbers when on a pt.

I dont see why they wouldnt let you carry any of the gear or stretcher...you might need some training on how to use it, but its fairly straight forward. theres a couple threads around here on first day etiquette that have a lot of info in them.

PrincessAnika

Forum Crew Member
So, wait, they aren't going over assessments but you are expected to know them? Or just are supposed to have that section read?
First I'd talk to your crew on sun. Let them know it's your first shift and you'd like to help in any way you can, would they be willing to go over litter ops and the truck with you so you can fetch things if needed etc. most providers are happy to show you the ropes. They probably won't trust you with lifting a pt right away though so don't be surprised if they take over for that til you get used to it. You can ask them to show you how they do assessments, but everyone does them differently and you will need to find your own rhythm, it will take time to develop and you will find that what works for someone else may or may not work for you.
Best thing is practice practice practice. If you have a longer transport time, and the pt isn't critical, ask them if they would mind if you practice an assessment on them on the way to the hospital, or if you do any transports, them too. Most pts won't mind - though a few will. Do you get clinical time in the ER? that's another good way to practice assessments.

Gear - the cheapest watch you can find. Seriously. Hubby and I get ours at walmart for maybe $10, if that. It will get scratched, bloody, hit, abused, and quite possibly lost. I replaced mine on a bi-monthly basis (if not more often) not bc I wanted to but bc I had to. Other than that, a small notebook for your shirt pocket to write info down on, is a def must - along with about 4 pens. Separate pen for pts to use, make sure you can clean it off in between calls, ad never ever ever put your work pens in or near your mouth nose eyes ears face head. I've seen providers lose parts of ears and noses bc of infections gotten from absently scratching an itch with a pen.

RebelAngel

White Cloud
Check to see if you can find a skills test sheet online and see what you need to know specifically.

I have two watches. I was looking for an easy to wipe down digital watch with 24 hour clock and seconds right on the face. One I spent $25 + at Dakota and the other I found for $5 at one of the dollar stores ....Family Dollar or Dollar General, I don't remember.

Off the top of my head:
You may need a way to determine level of consciousness/alertness, we use AVPU scale based on three questions. Some agencies toss that into vitals but for us it's not part of our "vitals", we perform that assessment earlier.

Watch (for determining pulse (rate and quality) and respirations (rate and quality) per min). I have a pen light (for checking eyes for PERRL/PEARL), adult run of the mill, bp cuff, littman cardiology IIl steth (breath sounds and BP), blood glucose monitor (we asses blood glucose a lot, per our protocols). We also asses skin for temp, condition, and color.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
NREMT trauma assessment skills sheet
https://www.nremt.org/nremt/downloads/E201 Trauma Assessment.pdf

NREMT medical assessment skills sheet
https://www.nremt.org/nremt/downloads/E202 Medical Assessment.pdf

BP cuff dosent really matter, they all do the same thing. A cheap one from Walmart or Walgreens will suffice. As far as a watch goes same thing, a cheap 5 dollar one from Walmart will do, as long as you can count seconds for pulse and respirations.

And I don't see why they wouldn't let you help out on calls, your a part of the squad now. Maybe they might want to train you on how to use some of the gear before they let you use it.