Virginia market and wages

mistertheatre

Forum Probie
Hello.

Would anyone here be able to give me any insights as to how the job market is for EMT-B in Virginia, and current wages? Thank you!

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
make that a +1 here

alphatrauma

Forum Captain
From what I've been able to gather... about $10-$12/hr on average

... and the market is not bad, depending on how creative you get. There are many hospital positions that can be had, from ICU to ER, and there's also your private (IFT) companies. As far as 911 goes, unless you opt for Richmond Ambulance Authority, you can probably forget it.

Last edited by a moderator:

MedicSqrl

Forum Crew Member
I saw one place that offered $32k/yr for an EMT-B/E, could that be accurate?

It was an IFT company.

JCampbell

Forum Crew Member
I saw one place that offered $32k/yr for an EMT-B/E, could that be accurate?

It was an IFT company.

$13-14 an hour with a little OT will get you $32K easily. So will $12 with a LOT of OT. And BTW $10-12 per hour? OUCH!

alphatrauma

Forum Captain
$13-14 an hour with a little OT will get you $32K easily. So will $12 with a LOT of OT. And BTW $10-12 per hour? OUCH!

Most of the non-fire EMS 911 positions are in the rural areas, where the cost of living would allow one to do somewhat okay with $12/hr.

The company paying $32k is Eagle, I believe... and that (private ambulance) is where you will earn the most at the Basic level.

MedicSqrl

Forum Crew Member
Most of the non-fire EMS 911 positions are in the rural areas, where the cost of living would allow one to do somewhat okay with $12/hr.

The company paying $32k is Eagle, I believe... and that (private ambulance) is where you will earn the most at the Basic level.

You are correct. I am trying to live in the Newport News/Norfolk/Williamsburg area. While I would love to work for RAA, it would be a drive to get there. It says 9.60 to start for them, so unless they give alot for experience, I would rather stick with IFT unfortunately. I can always get 911 with a vol. fire dept.

Or maybe move closer to Richmond...

Its good that it pays $2+/hr more than FL does since the saturation is so high here.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I am trying to live in the Newport News/Norfolk/Williamsburg area.

thats where my wife is from... hence my interest in that area

OP
OP
M

mistertheatre

Forum Probie
Thank you all so much for all of this information, as I am looking into relocating to VA. If anyone else has anything else to add, please do. There isn't much luck in looking this stuff up on the web..

HAGD.

MedicSqrl

Forum Crew Member
I have some of the wife's family and a old girlfriend up there. Which comes in handy cause she works for an apartment complex. I hear the weather isn't that bad over there either cause the bay warms up the peninsula. Some snow but only like a couple of days. I can't wait to start. The VA already paid my school down here so I am stuck taking courses that will more than likely not transfer over. The good thing is the VA will pay out-of-state tuition when I get down there so I don't have to wait for residency.

With all the people wanting to move to VA we could start our own IFT company.