Veteren EMT support act.

H33

Forum Probie
So reading this act I don't seem to understand what the point is. Admittedly my service was Corp and had nothing to do with medic, but my understanding is that now medics all take registry anyhow so what is it that this is supposed to do?

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
So reading this act I don't seem to understand what the point is. Admittedly my service was Corp and had nothing to do with medic, but my understanding is that now medics all take registry anyhow so what is it that this is supposed to do?

It streamlines things on the STATE side of licensing. My understanding that medics in the military take the NREMT, but are not state certified as they do not need to be. This act just helps the process go faster. They can also look for waivers. It really does not do much. If you have your NREMT then all you have to do anyways is apply to the state you want to work for. Granted some states take a long time, so the governments thinking is the act will help with veteran unemployment periods being shorter.

OP
OP
H33

H33

Forum Probie
The two states I have worked in for medic you show up with registry, proof you went to an accredited school. They run a background check, call any state you have been licensed in before and you hand them a check they hand you a license. Same day service if you do it in person, perhaps different states are different, just reading that mess I thought paper tiger. This will make us look like we are being constructive.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
yes states have been known to take a while and usually none of it is done in person, except for the finger printing obviously, so that makes it a pain. When I applied in Texas I was told it could take a month or two. Don't know if my department helped out or not, but I had mine in 2-3 weeks if I remember correctly.

escapedcaliFF

Forum Lieutenant
It also helped with issues as far as veterans not being able to use their military training transfering over to civilian educational requirements. It use to be the medic program in the military was basically worthless to the civilian sector cause of teaching methods and instruction not being recognized by civilian agencies.

OP
OP
H33

H33

Forum Probie
Interesting, still not certain I see the point in a new federal law over it, but I do see your point, I never really thought my expectations on licensing were different then others, so thanks for that.

escapedcaliFF

Forum Lieutenant
Could you imagine the backlash if civilian EMS programs started doing goat lab. EMS instructor walks into the local community college with a goat, bolt cuters, and a 9mm. Then proceeds to cut off its legs and shoots it in the gut and tells the student to save it lol. Im disappointed the military did away with goat lab because of selling out to evironut groups.

OP
OP
H33

H33

Forum Probie
So alas, I am not aware of goat lab, I had my emt going in and took the combat life saver deal, but medic was not my thing, I don't recall the fmf in my unit mentioning a goat lab so perhaps it was before his time, or he thought we would give him crap about it, not certain, though the next time I talk to him I will have to ask. I must say then I would have thought that was very cool, at this point in my life I am contemplating the ethics of it, not certain I disagree, we use animals for science all the time so it seems to me like it could be considered a legitimate use, on the other hand kind of smacks up against the notion of causing suffering vs reducing suffering so who knows definitely something to ponder on, but yeah as an 18 yo kid I would not have given it any thought and would have probably wanted them to shoot my goat somewhere challenging.

escapedcaliFF

Forum Lieutenant
It was an army thing. They stopped doing it in 2013 do to pressure from PETA. However the 18D still do it on the down low at Bragg occasionally. They even used cats and pigs. Experts agree its a very effective training method.

Last edited: