Veterans VS. Probies

ollie

Forum Crew Member
Veterans i got a question for you? for each probie you get at your company how many remind you of yourself when you first started off in your first EMS job?
Probies i got a question for you guy/ gals how many of you fear or are intimidated by your fellow co- workers or the Veterans? i think this should be intresting ? its late at night just got off of work and im bored so any one care to answer :) have a good night everybody

Epi-do

I see dead people
I can't say that any of the probies/students that I have had ride with me really remind me of me when I first started. I like to ask them questions to get to know them and find out that each of them comes from a different background, have different motivation for doing what they are doing, and have different strengths and weaknesses. However, I do really enjoy having them ride with me and having the opportunity to help them learn and hopefully make a positive impact upon them.

OP
OP
O

ollie

Forum Crew Member
i really liked your answer hope i get someone like you on my ride along :)

VCEMT

Forum Captain
None, they just seem more stubborn. I was a total dumbass, I kept screwing things up and not moving fast enough for my a-hole partners. I've worked with a new hire EMT, a while back. The guy was a complete moron, he had his stupid i-phone in his hand all day, he interrupted reports, and treated me like I was in his way.

fighting17th

Forum Ride Along
Veterans i got a question for you? for each probie you get at your company how many remind you of yourself when you first started off in your first EMS job?

You mean like being scared of doing the wrong thing and worrying about looking like a fool? Yeah, I see that with many new EMTs, and I was the same way my first year. Like any job, there is a learning curve and the first few months are the toughest. Hopefully you will have some good EMTs to help you out like I did.

Nick647

Forum Lieutenant
I'm not an EMT-B yet. I still have to get ready for classes and what not. This is kind of one of my concerns though. I sometimes do personalize things and what not but I think it just means I should look at what they are saying in a certain perspective if they give me advice. I understand being apart of a job such as EMS or fire dept is busting the new guys (or girls) chops sometimes. I suppose it will be a matter of getting use too.

Luno

OG
Premium Member
Probies i got a question for you guy/ gals how many of you fear or are intimidated by your fellow co- workers or the Veterans? i think this should be intresting ? its late at night just got off of work and im bored so any one care to answer :) have a good night everybody

Alot of rookies remind me of myself, so I try my damnedest not to do the BS that happened to me during my first days... Then again, entering the field at 27 and prior military, I didn't put up with the same amount of crap that your usual 20 year old would. I cussed out the senior emt at our station our first day for trying that "hey rookie" crap. Now that I'm the senior guy, and have 3 rookies, there's a difference between having the rookie clean and wash, and doing stupid demeaning bs stuff. No one should feel intimidated, they should look at their team mates as mentors and resources for their success. The only time they should feel fear is when they are making stupid rookie decisions, rather than taking the time to ask. As I try to remind them, there are no stupid questions, just stupid EMTs... ;)