Veteran Medic UK entering US Field

BelfasttoBabylon

Forum Ride Along
Mod's thank you for adding me to the site!

I am 44 and now about to officially gain a cert in EMT. i'm former British Military 10 years and 10 years in private security contracting as an operator. I have held the equiv of EMT-B on several occasions back in the UK and have been Team Medic in on our teams in the Military and acting team medic for our private teams in the Middle East. I have quite a bit of experience in heavy trauma scenarios etc however a nose bleed may make me think a bit ;-).

I am not an EMT period but have been doing the job for a long time in my career. I have a family of wife and 3 young Children. I have made a lot of money in my field enough to settle down in a nice house in Florida ( Deltona) so money is not a motivator here.

I want to spend the last sprint of my career as an EMT no big cheese, just doing the job of an EMT but I want to be trained by the best and work with the best!

I don't want to do a tick in the box course, I want to do a pass or fail course and one that is respected by the best in the EMS world. I am sure many will reply saying that I don't need to do this and any EMT-B is all I need to get my foot in the door but that's not who I am. I have worked along side many medics in pretty adverse situations and the good ones where always the ones who demanded the best from themselves to benefit others, and not the best from others to benefit themselves! and this always originated from their initial training and their instructors.

I will be moving to Deltona Florida in a few weeks and would like to hit the ground running

I am not trying to be arrogant, I just want to start of as I mean to go on!

1. with all of the above in mind can you recommend can you point me in the direction of good training packages and instructors.

2. advice on career path and foot in the door in the Mid north Florida region.

looking forward to replies from our seasoned members.

Bless you all guys have always had a big respect for the guys who come and save the guys who are used to saving others.

Be Blessed

Finn

Pavehawk

Forum Lieutenant
In Volusia County your options are numbered. Apply to the county but it is a long and winding road. I would apply to the Orlando companies American and Rural Metro. They are private companies but Rural Metro does have some 911 contracts. They are almost always hiring. There is Coastal in Brevard County also. You can try the hospitals for ED tech jobs.

Most 911 in this area is run by fire or county third service and for the most part you can't swing a dead cat without hitting several paramedics, and even more waiting to get hired somewhere. Many of these are fire based so you would need fire standards (if you are so inclined)

For schools there are a bunch of private programs in the Orlando area, and you will be close to Daytona State College which has one fo the best EMT-B and Paramedic programs in the state.

I live in your area shoot me a private message when you get settled we can grab a beer if you want and Ill fill you in on the situations in a bit more detail.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

BelfasttoBabylon

Forum Ride Along
Cheers for the reply guys!

Pavehawk I will look forward to havin a beer with you and a chat, thanks for reaching out!

PM on its way

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Welcome. SAS?

terrible one

Always wandering
A wife and three kids on an EMT salary in FL? That seems extremely challenging.
And as far as US being the best in EMS, well sorry that simply is not true. Our standards are very low.