Very minor call

RescueYou

Forum Lieutenant
We got a call yesterday that ended up being very very minor. As medics, we're taught to at least attempt to diagnose obviously. For EMT-Bs, well, this was a BLS call so think on it.
The call:
17 year old athletic female.
No previous injuries.
Resp. 12, pulse 62.
Not pregnant, last period started March 17.
No fever so I assumed no infection anywhere.
Taking birth control and had been taking an overthecounter anti-inflammatory for the past week to help with the pain.
Chief complaint was left lateral hip pain. She said it had been burning slightly from the more posterior side of her left hip and felt like "it wraps around to the front and shoots a straight line of burning pain to my knee." After further questioning, we found that it hurt her more to lay down flat on her back than anything else. She rated her pain to be around 4. Pain did not change with palpation. She claimed the pain went from her posterior and lateral left side of her hip and down through her quad. she also said that it did not worsen upon physical activity. The pain did not spread into the abdomen or lower back.
My first thought was Bursitis. Xrays showed no deformities. She said she had been to the dr on Friday of last week and he had told her to stretch and heat. The doctor had said it was not bursitis and upon returning to the hospital later last night, I asked her physician if it was Bursitis. He said no. I never did get a response about her diagnosis so I'll ask later tonight.
It's a very minor call in my opinion, but it just struck me as odd. This is my very first hip patient other than one broken hip in an elderly man once. I just want your opinions as to what you think it might be?

eveningsky339

Forum Lieutenant
Could be a variety of things... pinched nerve maybe? Muscle injury?

And did she really call 911 for 4/10 leg pain? :ph34r:

Veneficus

Forum Chief
What kind of athlete?

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
The cool thing about EMS is there are, for the most part, clear directives about what constitutes an emergency and what interventions are useful. Usually, you're working at the top of the pyramid, within a relatively narrow range of afflictions.

You can easily get lost worrying about, exploring and identifying and intervening below the line of that top 1/5th of the pyramid. This thread can hold a half-million guesses, but why?

Last edited by a moderator:

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
I recently had a very similar one. The final diagnosis was a strained iliotibial band.

subliminal1284

Forum Lieutenant
I am voting for Sciatica, a few years ago I had Sciatica very bad. If I was in any position other than standing or laying down straight my right leg burned so bad it felt like it was on fire.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Look to your dermatomes.

I have hip bursitis, it does not follow a dermatome. You can have it at the same time as another problem, however.

dermatomes.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: