Venting at a Horrible Company

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Overheard second-hand from my sister, paramedic student riding with the local 911 "ALS" ambulance service in El Paso County (Life Ambulance El Paso).
These are quotes from her shift today on one of their ambulances, on 911 coverage in the county, from the paramedic she was partnered with.

"12-leads are just wastes of time, because we have blood pressure to know where the infarct is. All we need to do is put a 3-lead on them and that'll tell us if they're having a heart attack"- spoken by one of the 'paramedics' at Life Ambulance.

"If the patient is postictal, they're alert and oriented, you don't need to ask them about their history."

"I don't care if a patient has problems in the ICU because I gave them oxygen. We only need to get them to the hospital."

"We don't care about numbers here." -in response to being asked why they blast everyone with 15L/min and don't carry pulse oximeters or capnography.

For the record, Life Ambulance pays paramedics $10/hour for between 13 and 24 hours of work every day, drives no truck newer than 2005, and doesn't carry benzos or narcotics. They also apparently don't believe in competent medical care (my apologies to their competent employees, your company and coworkers suck though).

I view it as job security that we have paramedics like the one who these quotes are attributed to, but this place is a joke we should be ashamed of as an industry. If we're training new medics, let's set a better example than this, even if our employer isn't a top-flight operation.

GRR! I'm really glad my family isn't in their service area. How they are in business, I don't know.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
Overheard second-hand from my sister, paramedic student riding with the local 911 "ALS" ambulance service in El Paso County (Life Ambulance El Paso).
These are quotes from her shift today on one of their ambulances, on 911 coverage in the county, from the paramedic she was partnered with.

"12-leads are just wastes of time, because we have blood pressure to know where the infarct is. All we need to do is put a 3-lead on them and that'll tell us if they're having a heart attack"- spoken by one of the 'paramedics' at Life Ambulance.

"If the patient is postictal, they're alert and oriented, you don't need to ask them about their history."

"I don't care if a patient has problems in the ICU because I gave them oxygen. We only need to get them to the hospital."

"We don't care about numbers here." -in response to being asked why they blast everyone with 15L/min and don't carry pulse oximeters or capnography.

For the record, Life Ambulance pays paramedics $10/hour for between 13 and 24 hours of work every day, drives no truck newer than 2005, and doesn't carry benzos or narcotics. They also apparently don't believe in competent medical care (my apologies to their competent employees, your company and coworkers suck though).

I view it as job security that we have paramedics like the one who these quotes are attributed to, but this place is a joke we should be ashamed of as an industry. If we're training new medics, let's set a better example than this, even if our employer isn't a top-flight operation.

GRR! I'm really glad my family isn't in their service area. How they are in business, I don't know.

3986128+_0e29a0446d96d138e7f1b06aa63261cf.jpg

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
I was about to say I don't really believe that any provider would say that about a 3-lead. Then I remembered how a number of 3rd year students at uni didn't know the difference between an MI and a cardiac arrest.

You guys don't have a monopoly on stupid.

No benzos, opiates, pulse oximeters, capnography and clearly no education. What about these people is ALS? Honestly, its not a rhetorical question. Without a drug box, extra toys and most importantly, an education, aren't they just EMT-Bs?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
That would be why I refused to do ride time with Death when I was in medic school in El Paso.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
You get what you pay for.

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

Oh, the county stipend for them is substantially more than Otero County pays AMR. The difference is that AMR provides great care, while Life's ownership sails a yacht.

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Oh, the county stipend for them is substantially more than Otero County pays AMR. The difference is that AMR provides great care, while Life's ownership sails a yacht.

My point was that they pay poorly for medics and they get poor medics.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
My point was that they pay poorly for medics and they get poor medics.

I've always thought it funny that some people don't understand that you can't get high-grade beef from a hot dog package...

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

medictmfl

Forum Ride Along
12-leads are just wastes of time, because we have blood pressure to know where the infarct is.

I need to learn this trick, maybe it's a special cuff... and to think I've been wasting all this time with 12-leads and right-sided EKG's.

If your really quiet you can hear the people at the AHA die inside a little every time someone says stuff like this

$100 says these same individuals can be heard saying "that's the way they teach it but this is the way we do it in the field" translated to "I have no idea how to function as a medic in today's world of EMS so this is the s#*t I do"

Be afraid, be very afraid.

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

I need to learn this trick, maybe it's a special cuff... and to think I've been wasting all this time with 12-leads and right-sided EKG's.

If your really quiet you can hear the people at the AHA die inside a little every time someone says stuff like this

$100 says these same individuals can be heard saying "that's the way they teach it but this is the way we do it in the field" translated to "I have no idea how to function as a medic in today's world of EMS so this is the s#*t I do"

Be afraid, be very afraid.

You would be correct, sir. As I remember from my own clinicals in 2009, "The book was wrong."

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain
Hopefully this place doesn't constitute the lions share of your sisters rotations, she at least found some good examples of what not to do.Thankfully she was educated enough to see her preceptors for what they were. If this were to continue throughout rotations with this company though I'd let my instructor know, paramedic school being all about time management , why waste it in an environment like this.

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

Waste of effort in this case- the program's instructor and coordinator are cut from the same cloth. Medic mill to the max.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I've been known to say the book is wrong...but I doubt it's in the same way as these guys....