vacuum mattress repair

WarDance

Forum Lieutenant
I have been attempting to repair 3 leaking vacuum mattresses for a couple of weeks now and I have yet to find the source of the problem with any of them. They are all made by MDI. Does anyone know if the company will take them for repairs? If not does anyone have any advice on how to approach this problem?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Get a certified reapir . Don't do it yourself.

Liability galore, as Inigo Montoya might say. Also it might violate a local EMS policy.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Hey WD, don't pay attention my mycroft. I don't think he familiar with how this stuff works.

Here is how to find your leak: PRESSURIZE the vacuum mattress, spray a spray bottle filled with soapy water. Bubbles will stream from the leaks.

You can call and ask for a patch kit, I'm pretty sure they sell them. Otherwise, for DIY, personally I'd repair it like it was a rubber drysuit. I'd use flexible butyl rubber patches and rubber cement just like fixing a drysuit. You may wish to lightly abrade the material to get good bonding. Patches can work great since you are vacuuming the patch in instead of trying to blow it out.

However, have your tried replacing the valve seal? That is the part that is the culprit for us 90% of the time. Easy 1 minute replacement. You should always have extras.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
WarDance

WarDance

Forum Lieutenant
These are actually used for training not mission use. I would, however, like the training gear to be in good order so that things can be better simulated. These are also not used in EMS. They are for a SAR team.

OP
OP
WarDance

WarDance

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks Summit! I actually did quite a bit of yard work for a rafting company back in my guiding days so I am pretty skilled at patching. I was just having trouble finding any holes since you can't really hear it like on a raft. The valve very well may be the issue but I wasn't sure if they sold replacements.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Thanks Summit! I actually did quite a bit of yard work for a rafting company back in my guiding days so I am pretty skilled at patching. I was just having trouble finding any holes since you can't really hear it like on a raft. The valve very well may be the issue but I wasn't sure if they sold replacements.
Oh then you'll have an easy time! :) See if you can reverse the pump attachment and pressurize that sucker. Soapy water reveals all. That's how we find leaks on our drysuits.

But, I bet you it is the seal on the valve. That's what it usually is. Definitely get yourselves some extra valves. Our new policy is going to be to have one extra with each fieldable mattress.

reaper

Working Bum
Since they are just for training, patch it.

But, as Mycroft stated, If this was for use in the field, you would be holding major liability for any repair made to them. Once you repair or maintain any medical equipment, you have taken all liability off the company and put it squarely on you and your companies shoulders!