US Forest Service Scope of practice

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Currently I am only a seasonal USFS Wild land FF so not much chance of being called out of state, but I was wondering about the what if. As a USFS employee EMT/Wildland FF it is conceivable that I could be called to duty in a state outside of Ca. Now I wonder what my scope is from state to state, I have been told by supervisors that we follow state protocols.

Now this does not sound right to me as some states EMT curriculum is more advanced than others. Now if I were asked to drop an IV line I would most likely drop my jaw instead as I have never learned this procedure even though EMT's in other states may have this training.

So does anyone know the real deal here?

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Currently I am only a seasonal USFS Wild land FF so not much chance of being called out of state, but I was wondering about the what if. As a USFS employee EMT/Wildland FF it is conceivable that I could be called to duty in a state outside of Ca. Now I wonder what my scope is from state to state, I have been told by supervisors that we follow state protocols.

Now this does not sound right to me as some states EMT curriculum is more advanced than others. Now if I were asked to drop an IV line I would most likely drop my jaw instead as I have never learned this procedure even though EMT's in other states may have this training.

I cannot speak authoritatively on USFS protocols and such, I do know however that all agencies have specific rules for how to operate.

I know that WA DNR has you work based off of your home county protocols and the the Fed. Inter-agency Incident Management Team 3 (Serving the USFS mainly) works based off of Multnomah County, OR protocols. I thought that the USFS required you to be National Registry, but I could be wrong.

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
you follow your home county protocol. you are allowed to function under your home county/state license because you are under mutual aid orders. you are fully backed by NWCG and Firescope. same goes for if you are resource ordered to Fireline EMT/Medic.

Nil desperandum

Forum Ride Along

Look here... google..FS Manual
Forest Service Manual [FSM] Section 6700 Safety and Health Program
go to section 6725, Emergency Medical Services [ Sorry, I could not post the link]

Dont' be confused by the language in paragraph two...because...
"In order to practive EMs you must obtain your state license"... pulled right out of my re-cert letter from NREMT. It's also better explained in the NREMT site under- about NREMT -license vs certification.
1] Regardless of your status[ Temp[ 1039], seasonal[13/13/, 18/8] or PFT you MAy very well be dispacthed out of your District, Forest, State [Region-5] etc., so hats off for thinking ahead on this.
2] Ask you Sup as you have , but don't be afraid to ask them to clarify / and or help you find what literature supports that decision[ law regulation , policy] such as that in the link above. Refer to MOB guides - they are good and [ usually specific] Get a dialogue with you Med Director/ Physician advisor.
3] Know what is expected of you on the FS side of things [AKA- what's on your Redcard, position decription EMT-B?, Med unit leader?, ] etc
4] On the EMS side, know YOUR protocals, work within YOUR skillset/ scope of practice.
Hope that helps and is not too preachy. BTW- 10 and 18, know um, verbat-um understand um. Good luck!

Archymomma

Forum Crew Member
Agree with what everyone has said.

Depending on the fire season and your forest you could easily be sent out of state on fires.

Make sure to check your red card, as Nil desperandum stated, that it has your current quals. What you feel comfortable going out as (or want to be dispatched as) - what you are a fully qualified to do and which ones you are a trainee. If you have not been out on a fire as an EMT you may be classified as a trainee on your red card.

You won't be asked to do an IV - and if you are you refuse....In CO I was IV certified - in MO I'm not. There is no way I would do an IV under my MO license...even if I was in CO for a fire.

R5hotshot

Forum Ride Along
Does anybody know if the USFS can be considered your sponsoring agency for paramedics?
I am a seasonal on one of the hotshot crews in Southern Cali and also a paramedic but curious if I would actually be able to practice while on the crew.

Who is the medical director for the USFS/angeles NF?

Working under protocols or SFTPs?

any insight would be great help