Upcoming interview...

i_drive_code3

Forum Crew Member
hey everyone,
i'm testing for another agency and i hate the part of the interview when they ask for strengths, weakness, and if you have any questions...

strengths is not so difficult but i always feel weird trying to come up with a weakness that doesn't really sound like a weakness (or is a "weakness" that is not a big deal..know what i mean?) and then when they ask if i have any questions i always just wanna say "yeah when can i start?"

so what do you guys say to those questions?

thanks,
*kate*

natrab

Forum Crew Member
I think they usually realize how difficult it is for you to come up with something, so it shouldn't affect your interview too much. I usually tell them my weakness is that I'm a perfectionist (which I truly am) and that I've had to learn to manage my time to make sure I don't spend too much on one thing.

Can I ask what agency you're applying for?

OP
OP
i_drive_code3

i_drive_code3

Forum Crew Member
ok i'm a little bummed...

that only ONE person has responded! come one everyone..help me out!

I work full time for Cambria Community Healthcare District and I'm testing for San Luis Ambulance Service - not much to choose from in my county!

*kate*

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
I was going to reply, but natrab actually said exactly what I was going to say. So consider that two votes for saying you're a perfectionist.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Sorry I'm having the same problem, my interview is wednesday and I'm trying to think of the answer to that question and a nice way to say why I want to be an EMT.

I don't want to just tell them that my weakest point is I'm neurotic and I want to be an EMT becuase I hate working in offices and like all gory stuff we get and it's probably the only job I'll ever get that I won't want to quit after 6 months.

medic723

Forum Ride Along
We all know this question is comming, it is asked in ALL interviews. Remember there is no right or wrong answer, Just try to prepare before you get there.

Mobile Medic

Forum Ride Along
Also remember that it's more than just wanting to take care of patients, We look for people who want to become involved in the organization, interests other than doing calls.

Public relations, interests in various levels of the "behind the scene" components that allow the crews to do their best on calls.

Just something our organization looks for...

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Wingnut said:
Sorry I'm having the same problem, my interview is wednesday and I'm trying to think of the answer to that question and a nice way to say why I want to be an EMT.

Wingnut...Your weakness can be the same as mine.

Something like this..

"I am a brand new EMT without expierience who been out of school. Because of this I will need to have some additional training on the ambulance in an effort to get me up to par (or speed) with the rest of the team. I welcome that and look forward to putting in some extra time on my own to ensure I am a productive member of the team."

Worked for me. The LT that was on the interview panel saw me in the ER one day and told me that and my attitude when I forgot the 2 shockable rhythms is what made him recommend me for hiring without reservation. They are going to know you new and without expierence, but acknowledging it and accepting the fact you are going to have work a little harder in order to be able to function will go a long way.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Sweet! I was thinking about this a while ago and figured my inexperience would be my best weakness, but I completely blanked the last few days on it. Thankyou!! I also like the teamwork part, definitely going to add that :) :) :)