"Unread" Messages in Forums

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
Whenever I look at the main forum (http://emtlife.com/), various subforums show a blue Star of Life/Rod of Asclepius, indicating that the forum contains New Messages. However, often the forum will be marked with a dark/greyed out Star which would seem to indicate No New Messages, even when I haven't been on the forums for days and can see that a new post was made Today. Is this a known bug, that only sometimes forums show up as containing new posts?

Do I need to switch something in my own preferences?

Another forum I read has a very handy "New Content" button which will show me ALL threads that have had activity since my last visit (or last time I pressed "mark all as read"). From there I can easily open in new tabs the ones that pique my interest and mark the rest as "read".

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Whenever I look at the main forum (http://emtlife.com/), various subforums show a blue Star of Life/Rod of Asclepius, indicating that the forum contains New Messages. However, often the forum will be marked with a dark/greyed out Star which would seem to indicate No New Messages, even when I haven't been on the forums for days and can see that a new post was made Today. Is this a known bug, that only sometimes forums show up as containing new posts?

Do I need to switch something in my own preferences?

I haven't noticed this myself but I'll keep an eye on it to see if I can replicate it. And no, this shouldn't be a preferences thing, as far as I know.

Thanks for letting us know.

Another forum I read has a very handy "New Content" button which will show me ALL threads that have had activity since my last visit (or last time I pressed "mark all as read"). From there I can easily open in new tabs the ones that pique my interest and mark the rest as "read".

For our forum this will be the "New Posts" link in the navbar on top.

djm0219

Forum Probie
Under Quick Links there is a "Mark Forums Read" that will mark everything as being read for you.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
not sure it is a bug.

It happens when you are idle and the forum refreshes.

All the previous "new" or what I see as "unread" are listed as red and only new updates from the last refresh appear.

Since my posts are usually rather long it happens to me all the time, so I just remember what threads I want to look at when I first log on.

I do miss some now and again, but nothing to get upset about, if they are interesting, they come back around.

OP
OP
dixie_flatline

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
not sure it is a bug.

It happens when you are idle and the forum refreshes.

All the previous "new" or what I see as "unread" are listed as red and only new updates from the last refresh appear.

Since my posts are usually rather long it happens to me all the time, so I just remember what threads I want to look at when I first log on.

I do miss some now and again, but nothing to get upset about, if they are interesting, they come back around.

I don't think this is what is happening. As an example, I was gone for most of this weekend at a conference. I logged in this morning and "EMS Related News" and "BLS Discussion" both showed Grey (all read) for me, but looking at the "Last Post" column, I could plainly see that both forums had new activity Today. Since it was the first time I logged in Today, presumably they should have shown up in Blue. That being said, this is less of an issue now that Chimpie pointed out the blaringly obvious New Posts link that I had Never Seen Before....:wacko:

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader