Unknown Medical #2

doc5242

Forum Crew Member
nice technique.. too bad the one guy left the house bag in the house, now you have a violent patient with drugs......

i'm just busting your chops...btw

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Nice. That looks JUST LIKE I've been taught in law-enforcement level self-protection classes...

the low ready interview stance, going to a "high ready" position, as well as a step back to maintain the 4-foot "reactionary gap"

I also like the "contact/cover" positioning of the crew.

OP
OP
DT4EMS

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Jon said:
Nice. That looks JUST LIKE I've been taught in law-enforcement level self-protection classes...

the low ready interview stance, going to a "high ready" position, as well as a step back to maintain the 4-foot "reactionary gap"

I also like the "contact/cover" positioning of the crew.

Someone is teaching you some very good "Tactics". The "Push-Off" is the bonus here. If all I got was the "Parry" and didn't get popped in the mouth....... Woo Hoo !!! That is awesome!

Does this become the common theme?

1) Don’t be on an unsafe scene. Now we wish this could happen all the time, but is not always possible. Do what you can to stay away from the areas you know are prone to trouble. (Bars, Corners where dopers hang out, unlit areas, your buddy’s bedroom with his wife etc)

2) Awareness. You have to be aware of your surroundings in order to prevent an assault. Be mindful of “who” is around and pay attention to the little things. (What is being said ?, What is the mood of people around? etc.)

3) Maintain a safe distance. This is when the person started approaching. Your hands go up in NVP (non-violent posture) and you back away if possible. The NVP makes it harder for people who are “witnesses “ to say it looked like you were the attacker or you were wanting to fight. Safe distance would vary depending on the threat presented. If you noticed the problem here, you would go to #2 then #1.

4) DTP- If you failed with 1-3, the DTP can “buy you a second” to correct your mistake, and try to get to #3, then #2 and so on. It is the constant idea of escape that is in mind. Not knocking a person out or submitting them. The essence of the Double Tap Parry IS the parry. Not a block. If your hands were up (#3) it is like swatting a bug away from your face as you LEAVE. Going to #3

5) Basic Ground Defense: If the DTP failed and contact was made and you were knocked to the ground…. Tuck your chin, bring your knees up and yell on your way down. The BGD keeps a person from mounting you.

6) Escape the Mount (Basic Ground Drill) for if you made a mistake and let them mount you. If mounted the idea is to escape it, create space and work to #5, then 4, 3, 2, 1.

DT4EMS has nothing to do with training a person to “fight”. Fighting is hard but self-defense can be very easy. When you think of the goal… to get off of the unsafe scene (#1).

It is tactics not techniques. A clinch or a ground and pound (both very effective) could be seen as aggressive and the EMS provider who wins the street battle would ultimately lose the courtroom battle and the battle of the Media.

Most attacks on EMS are not life threatening, some are. So a person needs to have sound tactics, not techniques.

Some of the video clips that we put on our website show the progression of how the DTP can be used in many situations. In a DT4EMS class the DTP moves into Elbow Control or, A head Takedown or the push off escape. The videos just show how regardless of “what” you trained in before you can blend the principles/tactics into your training. But the most important thing is TRY NOT TO GET HIT with the first attempt and LEAVE.

Most of the two days is built around preventing the first strike, punch, push, grab, slash etc from taking place. That is what makes us different. IF you look on the internet for fight clips you will see almost every one of them has two things in common: 1) Two willing participants and 2) The fight started with an outstretched limb.

Attacks on EMS and others have no ground and pound involved. Most are a spontaneous attack that catches the victim by surprise. The stories of EMS providers attacked with a pipe, shot, stabbed, punched; kicked etc. can be read in several places. Not one story of an EMS provider being ground and pound has surfaced. Not that is hasn’t happened , but statistically it has been strikes with empty hand or weapon attacks on EMS. So for EMS providers (not fighters) the goal has to be avoidance, if caught off guard go through the steps above to get away. ( 1-6)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Kip,

Yeah... you really do seem to be teaching a lot of the same techniques my instructors have been teaching (both are retired Penn. State Police supervisors). We've been taught to parry JUST like that... We've also worked on getting out of bear hugs and choke holds. Our instructor phrased it the same, too... if he has you in a choke hold, you already did something wrong... here is how you fix it.

OP
OP
DT4EMS

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Jon said:
Kip,

Yeah... you really do seem to be teaching a lot of the same techniques my instructors have been teaching (both are retired Penn. State Police supervisors). We've been taught to parry JUST like that... We've also worked on getting out of bear hugs and choke holds. Our instructor phrased it the same, too... if he has you in a choke hold, you already did something wrong... here is how you fix it.

Then these guys are teaching the "right" way. Tactical, not technical. :)