Uniforms.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Reaction score
I've had this conversation a couple times over the past few weeks and thought I'd put it out there for debate.

Do you feel students should be required to wear uniforms in class? Why or why not?

I personally don't feel that students should be required to wear uniforms in class.

My school requires:
  • Maroon school polo (Which are over $40 a piece and somehow not covered by tuition.)
  • Navy blue pants, not "EMT" pants with a thousand pockets.
  • Belt.
  • Black socks
  • Black boots. And yes, boots, not just black closed toe shoe, must be boots.

Along with uniform each student is required to have with him or her, a stethescope, trauma shears, and pen light. This is every day, not just lab days and we have dedicated lab and lecture day. Also long hair must be "restrained" and off the collar.

If someone can not be adult and dress themselves in appropriate attire for class, they probably shouldn't be in the class to begin with. I don't get the point of wearing a school uniform to sit in your classroom for lecture. I could sort of understand for lab days, and definitely for clinical and ride times, but for class alone?

Think of how grungy that uniform is going to start looking after you wash it a million times due to having to wear it three plus days a week. Or even all the cross contamination from wearing it to the hospital, washing it, and wearing it the next day to school. To the best of my knowledge, the average washing machine doesn't get hot enough to kill all those exotic and exciting germs you may pick up from patients.

Thoughts? Love wearing a uniform in class? Hate it?

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was going through school we only had to wear our uniforms for ride time. Sasha, I think you are right about not wearing it in class. Clinicals and ride time definitely.

This kinda reminds me of the whole debate about wearing school uniforms in H.S.

I had to wear similar in school, but, instead of polos, we had the baby blue "first responder" shirts, with patches. And everything had to be starched and pressed, long hair in high ponytails and off the face, boots polished, to high shine, at least on the toe caps, if not all over. And, our gigline had to be straight....

This was for class, lab, and clinicals.

We're required to wear uniforms for clinicals and field time. Not in class. If we were required for class, it'd kind of bug me, for many of the same reasons you've already mentioned.

Later!

--Coop

We have to wear white scool polo with EMS Star on it......navy blue EMS pants.....black shoes....black belt.....and name badge.....we only have to where it for labs and clinical time.

Seems blue is a common color choice.

But do you like it? Hate it? Do you feel that students should be made to wear them in class? Why or why not?

Uniforms are a good thing!

Well this is my spin on classroom uniforms, I strongly feel it is important to dress in class for 2 reasons. First, most students have never been in that type of a para military setting, and do not know about that a certain image must be seen by the public. This is a way of getting the student to get into that practice of looking professinal. Anyone who has gone though a fire academy will also agree it is also a matter of having pride in what you do. Second, this is a class room enviroment, I'm sorry I really don't want to see students various undergarments (Or lack of) being "out there" for everyone else to see. Part of classroom time is also for skills practice, you need to be wearing clothing that not only covers but can move with you. I can't tell you how many times we had have fire department captains and ambulance supervisers come to our classes for giving lectures but also would just come by to check in. You have to remember that if you are want to get hired, these ladies and gentlemen could also looking for possible new hires, first impressions are everything, especially to these folks. ;)

Pretty common to wear a uniform for paramedic classes. I see nothing wrong in promoting a professional appearance and pride.

If your concerned that as a result of washing your uniform it became degraded in appearance, then maybe its time to buy a new uniform? No different than being on the road and keeping your uniform in a professional appearance. Eventually you will need to buy a new one.

Excellent points Airway!

most students have never been in that type of a para military setting,

Para military? My school and schools in the area are nowhere near para military!

I'm sorry I really don't want to see students various undergarments (Or lack of) being "out there" for everyone else to see.

Students who can't dress themselves shouldn't be in class, at all. I don't disagree with a dress code but a uniform?

I don't see a uniform or lack thereof having anything to do with pride.

Seems blue is a common color choice.

But do you like it? Hate it? Do you feel that students should be made to wear them in class? Why or why not?

Grrr, let's try this again.

I loved it. Didn't have to worry about what to wear at Oh-My-God-thirty AM. It also identified who was supposed to be there, which was a big issue being as class was held on the grounds of a public safety academy, with several different police agencies, and at least one fire agency, as well as the college's police/fire/EMS classes being hosted there.

Now that I'm working, and wearing essentially the same uniform, it's not a big deal to me, unlike some of the people I work with. Course, I did have "paramilitary" experience first, so that might be part of it.

I don't buy the entire "look professional in the class room so that you look professional in the street" line. I think a simple screening test should be "Can you dress yourself properly to sit and listen to a lecture?" Jeans and a t-shirt? Acceptable. Jeans sagging so low that your underware is on display? Not so much. How many colleges and universities (including professional degree programs like medical school or PA school) require uniforms for their class rooms (Note: lectures, PBLs, etc, not going over to the hospital for clerkships, patient expereinces, interviewing courses, etc)?

I think discussing paramilitary style of education can be done in another thread.

Para military? My school and schools in the area are nowhere near para military!

If Sapphy went to the school I think she went to, they take the entire paramilitary concept to a whole new level. On the other hand, the schools marching band and winter indoor drumline is awesome.

<3 RCC's band.

Riverside Community College's paramedic course video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kev2Sn42tUc

Just what is your point here, Sasha? This thread won't make a tinkers Damn difference in your class requirements. Sounds to me your venting a beef about what your class and a thousands of others require and looking to see who will ally with you.

If Sapphy went to the school I think she went to, they take the entire paramilitary concept to a whole new level. On the other hand, the schools marching band and winter indoor drumline is awesome.

<3 RCC's band.

Riverside Community College's paramedic course video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kev2Sn42tUc

Oh my god...Are they working out!? Seriously!?

I think half my class would have quit if made to do one push up. (And I'm pretty sure half of that half can't do a push up.)

Just what is your point here, Sasha? This thread won't make a tinkers Damn difference in your class requirements. Sounds to me your venting a beef about what your class and a thousands of others require and looking to see who will ally with you.

Actually, this thread isn't about me. I'm putting it up for debate because the conversation has come up, privately, with a few people on this board, and publically on another thread. I was wondering other people's opinions on it.

Do you have a problem with debate?

My school required uniforms.

Class days was black or navy blue pants, a royal blue polo T-shirt with our picture ID on it, boots and a belt.

Clinical were the same uniform, but with a white work shirt with the star of life on it with the schools name and "EMS" on it.

The medic class had the same uniform, but instead of blue shirts, they wore red. They also got to wear their "EMT Basic" or "EMT Intermediate" patch on their clinical shirts.

Oh my god...Are they working out!? Seriously!?

I think half my class would have quit if made to do one push up. (And I'm pretty sure half of that half can't do a push up.)

Yes, that's where Sapphy went, and yes, they're totally working out. That's the Paramedic class though. There IS an EMT video out there. EMTs didn't work out (when I went through) other than a punitive action. There was talk of implementing a PT program for EMT as well.

And, yes, they do take the idea of paramilitary to a whole 'nother level. But, like JP said, that's a topic for another thread, and like this one, will only result in people who love it arguing with people who hate it.

My school required uniforms every day - pants, steel-toes, a dark solid-color t-shirt, and a shirt. Their explanation was that we need to get used to being in a uniform and know where all the pockets and compartments are. I feel it was more about them wanting to track us around the neighborhood, so that complaints about our behaviour would surely make it to the administration, since we were readily identifiable in the regular crowd.

And yes, women's hair always up, no dangly jewelry...ironically, a lot of the appearance requirements were way more stringent than the requirements at my job or practicum.

I'd be saying wear it.

As fo rthe grubby issue, I wore a school uniform through high school for 6 year, thats 5 days a week for more than often the whole day. Thats pants, jumper, shirt, tie, and shoes/boots.
I'd have 5 shirts a year and they would all last for a year or 2.

I wear our working uniform now on most courses, rides, standby pritty much everything.
If you are required to wear a uniform get one that is of decent quality and it will last. When a shirt gets beyond presentable get rid of it. simple as

Only uniform we have is for clinicals and ride time. Blue school polo w/ patch, black work pants (doesn't have to be EMS Pants), belt, black boots, steth, pen light.

Back