Ultrascope

Sasha

Forum Chief
Yup. I'm starting a scope thread... but it's NOT a Littmann thread.

I'm looking into getting an ultrascope. I don't want a littmann, they're far too common and it's easy to say "Yeah, no... that's MY scope not the one you left in the truck"

Not the case with an ultrascope, but I'm concerned. The head looks kind of awkward to use... How are the acoustics?

I noticed on the website that it boasts a lifetime warranty.. how sturdy are they? How easy to replace, how's the customer service?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Url?

Is "ultrascope" the new Littman?

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
A friend of mine that's a nurse swears by them, tried to get me to buy one when I was becoming an EMT.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

mycrofft

I don't know anyone who uses them a lot.

I've seen a lot of them left behind on counters because they are sort of cumbersome. Basically, a basic steth with the diaphragm-only head cast in hobby resin and an advertising logo or other stuff embedded.

Someone once had their steth head tightly bound in three broccoli rubber bands; it damped exterior vibration quite a bit, plus he still could use the bell.

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
Seems like a fun way to tell your coworkers that you're out of the closet.

I kid, i kid.

I ran with a girl who used one because she has some mild hearing loss. Claimed that it worked wonders for her.

It also doesnt hurt to have something bright and shiny for pediatrics to play with on a call.

I have not used one myself but i will try to get my hands on one at the station and report back to you.

18G

Paramedic
I never used an Ultrascope personally as they have never appealed to me (don't like the design). I just bought an ADC and am really happy with it.

mycrofft

Mooch around the ER and check the junk drawer.

Probably find one that says "Astra Zenika" or "Bayer" on it.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I bought one for my niece who is in nursing school. I borrowed it for a couple of shifts. Once you get past the snickers from your co workers they work very well. I felt it was easier to get a BP with it compared to my Littman SE and they are pretty comparable in price. It is definitely better for breath sounds. Not sure on how sturdy they are. I know the diaphragm comes off pretty easy, but it seems pretty well made. The lifetime warranty is limited so make sure you read the fine print. I have noticed a lot of ER nurses seem to be using them. One drawback in them though is they are a little big to get under the edge of a BP cuff.

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
I see on their website there is a testimony from a naturopath. I guess the high quality sound is useful for being able to tell when foul humours leave the body... :rolleyes:

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
I have an ultrascope. I like it very much. Great for breath sounds being that it's super sensitive. The head is a bit bigger, but you get used to it. One of my friends uses a cardio 3 and he swears the ultrascope is superior.

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
I bought one for my niece who is in nursing school. I borrowed it for a couple of shifts. Once you get past the snickers from your co workers they work very well. I felt it was easier to get a BP with it compared to my Littman SE and they are pretty comparable in price. It is definitely better for breath sounds. Not sure on how sturdy they are. I know the diaphragm comes off pretty easy, but it seems pretty well made. The lifetime warranty is limited so make sure you read the fine print. I have noticed a lot of ER nurses seem to be using them. One drawback in them though is they are a little big to get under the edge of a BP cuff.

My head has never fallen off. And your not supposed to put a scope under a cuff anyway. With an ultrascope and other pressure sensitive heads, all sound would be occluded.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I can hear better with my Ultrascope than the Littman I owned. I wouldn't buy anything else again.

Yeah it looks a little awkward (less so if you buy the Maxiscope) but the acoustics are worth it.

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief

My coworkers don't have the guts to snicker at me.

I think you guys have sold me on it :) thanks!

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

mycrofft

Give us your findings.

Psst wait two weeks and it might be in the stocking!

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
Psst wait two weeks and it might be in the stocking!

Noooooo. If I ask for a scope I will end up getting one from like Walmart.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
My head has never fallen off. And your not supposed to put a scope under a cuff anyway. With an ultrascope and other pressure sensitive heads, all sound would be occluded.

Not the head the l diaphragm. There's a little screw on retainer thingy around it that can work loose and then it pops off. I think it's made that way so you can replace it. It never fell off on me but I could see how it might if it worked loose and you didn't catch it.

Edit
I just noticed the one I got my niece isn't an Ultrascope it is a Maxiscope made by Ultrascope.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
I'm stuck between these two:
bluestar.png

or

pinkstar.png

d0nk3yk0n9

Forum Crew Member
I'm looking into getting a new stethoscope and until now had never heard of the Ultrascope. For any of you that have them, how well does the Ultrascope Maxiscope seem to work compared to a similarly priced traditional headed sthethoscope (e.g., Littmann Lightweight II S.E. or Littmann Select)?