UK Citizen looking to become an EMT-P

Diveman

Forum Ride Along
Hello All,

I have been looking through the forums and have not been able to find any up to date info that may assist me. One thing I noticed was the requests for more info from those posting so here goes:-

My situation starts with Love, sorry had to be soppy but I am following my heart this time. My Fiance has just recently moved to Canada as she got her working visa and has settled in Alberta and I of course wish to follow her and blah blah blah. We are both very serious people and are both devoted to permanently settling in Canada as soon as possible.

I wish to qualify as a paramedic as I have some basic EFR instructor certs etc as well as NAEMT TCCC instructor as I have been working in the private security sector for the last ten years. This industry is now finished as far as the good money goes, so it is no longer viable to be away from home for what amounts to minimum wage these days. I have started getting info on doing my CPR and EMR courses in Red Deer with AHASTI then will go on to do my EMT with them later in Calgary. Well that is the plan. Afterwards I wish to do my EMT-P and here is where I am getting stuck.

I found SAIT but the course is around $30,000 for the two years which at the moment is out my price range. So first question, is there any colleges that provide training to UK students for less. Next question is, how much work is available for an EMT and what is the current going rate for what should be an expected salary. If I know this I can then plan my finances. Are there better or worse schools to train with, for example is there any to avoid in case employers don't want to touch.

Hope this is good info to start and I will happily post any other info as requested.

All advice greatly received

Martin

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
There is a site you could go to that has the info about what you are looking for in terms of work availability for EMTs in Alberta.
http://www.albertaparamedicinecareers.ca/

Here is a link for the programs approved by ACoP
http://www.collegeofparamedics.org/home/education/approved-educational-programs.aspx

Here is a link from one of the aprroved programs listing the fees for Emergency Medical Technologist Paramedic at Portage College which when all added up is closer to 5000.00 year.
http://www.portagecollege.ca/Documents/Student Services/Fee Schedule 14 15 July 20.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

Diveman

Forum Ride Along
Thanks Fortsmithman for these links. The careers one certainly looks like work is going to be available even if the rates are just enough to keep the wolves away, that will suit me for now.

The Portage prices look great so I shall just drop them an email and see about course availability.

Again, thanks

Martin

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
As an EMT-P you can get an industrial job right out of school and clear 120-150k a year. Industrial is not for everyone and experiences can vary( really busy to almost 0 pts in a 2 week shift ) but if you are looking for cash to pay for school it can be a good option. I have been a medic for years and have worked industrial or almost 2 now and love it ( I am in a busy clinic) it is great to be able to pay down my debt and student loans.

OP
OP
D

Diveman

Forum Ride Along
Thanks

Thanks Tim, that is some good info on a salary basis for me. Alas I won't qualify for any type of funding so for me its all going to be self funded, so clearing my savings out don't seem so bad if at the end of the day I can recoup quickly and get the financial buffer back in place. Oh and the wedding fund. lol.

Regards

Martin

Spyro2500

Forum Probie
Hey Martin I have sent you a private message - I am from the Uk and recently completed my EMT so can likely help you with some of your questions.