TX's Paramedic course

ChickenMcSuckIT

Forum Probie
hello,
I am looking for some information on Paramedic courses in Texas, I have applied to UTSA's Program and currently looking at others in the Central Texas area. I am interested to hear feedback from those that have been through UTSA's program and others. Thank you.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
hello,
I am looking for some information on Paramedic courses in Texas, I have applied to UTSA's Program and currently looking at others in the Central Texas area. I am interested to hear feedback from those that have been through UTSA's program and others. Thank you.

I'm assuming you are referring to UTHSCSA's paramedic program, and not UTSA's (entirely different schools).

I went through UTHSCSA, but then there was only one class. Now they have many satellite classes that are still "UTHSCSA". I can only comment on the one that takes place on the UTHSCSA campus. In this area, that is probably going to be your best option. Good instructors there; but even more than that is the experiences you'll get being affiliated with a medical school that other area programs can't offer.

The cost is a little higher (which can be reduced by about $900 if you already have medical insurance), but worth it in my opinion.

I have not met or worked with many medics that the satellite programs put out, so I can not comment on Te quality of medics the release.

I would reccomend staying away from either SAC program.

Now, that said. Schertz is going to be putting on their first Paramedic class beginning in June or July. The cost should be considerably less. And while it's Schertz's first medic class, the instructors that will be teaching it are all great medics with significant teaching experience. If the EMT Basic class is any reflection at all of what to expect from the paramedic class, Schertz will likely have the best program around.

The downside: It will be difficult to in to. The basic class alone usually fills up within hours of opening registration and begins wait listing. There's also talk of making an entrance exam and not just taking anybody that applies (as is the case with all the other programs around here).

If you need more info, I'll be glad to help if possible.

OP
OP
C

ChickenMcSuckIT

Forum Probie
You are correct, I was talking about UTHSCSA. I had a bit of a brain fart there in my post. Its good to know about the Schertz Course; however I wont be back in Texas until August so I wouldn't make the start of it. From what I can tell UTHSCSA seems to be the place to go, as far as information on websites of different schools. The option I like is the full time option, which is basically 5 days a week for two semesters from what I can tell. Thank you for the info, now I have to play the waiting game to see if they accept me into the program.

Whats the best part of SA to live in? Preferrably somewhere family friendly, and quiet, I was thinking Boerne and commuting. I grew up in San Marcos, so the only SA I know is the Riverwalk and Cowboys Dancehall.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
You are correct, I was talking about UTHSCSA. I had a bit of a brain fart there in my post. Its good to know about the Schertz Course; however I wont be back in Texas until August so I wouldn't make the start of it. From what I can tell UTHSCSA seems to be the place to go, as far as information on websites of different schools. The option I like is the full time option, which is basically 5 days a week for two semesters from what I can tell. Thank you for the info, now I have to play the waiting game to see if they accept me into the program.

Whats the best part of SA to live in? Preferrably somewhere family friendly, and quiet, I was thinking Boerne and commuting. I grew up in San Marcos, so the only SA I know is the Riverwalk and Cowboys Dancehall.

Yeah, UTHSCSA is Monday through Friday +40hrs for two semesters. 1st semester is MWF class and TTh clinicals. 2nd semester is TTh class and MWF clinicals.

Since there are so many programs around, none typically fill up. Especially UTHSCSAs since many people don't want to go to the more expensive school or the one that's Monday through Friday. If you apply, odds are you'll be accepted. Especially applying this early.

Boerne is nice, but houses are expensive up there. If you can afford it, it's a great place. Also, not a very bad commute to campus while youre in school. North side of SA is nice, but expensive as well. Schertz (where I live) and New Braunfels are also very nice places to live. Slightly cheaper, but you'd have a slightly longer commute (30min drive to campus). Up north on 281 isn't bad either, but 281 traffic is always horrible.

And stay away from the two places you know... ;) Especially around Cowboys!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
C

ChickenMcSuckIT

Forum Probie
Yeah, UTHSCSA is Monday through Friday +40hrs for two semesters. 1st semester is MWF class and TTh clinicals. 2nd semester is TTh class and MWF clinicals.

Since there are so many programs around, none typically fill up. Especially UTHSCSAs since many people don't want to go to the more expensive school or the one that's Monday through Friday. If you apply, odds are you'll be accepted. Especially applying this early.

Boerne is nice, but houses are expensive up there. If you can afford it, it's a great place. Also, not a very bad commute to campus while youre in school. North side of SA is nice, but expensive as well. Schertz (where I live) and New Braunfels are also very nice places to live. Slightly cheaper, but you'd have a slightly longer commute (30min drive to campus). Up north on 281 isn't bad either, but 281 traffic is always horrible.

And stay away from the two places you know... ;) Especially around Cowboys!

LOL, I'm not a young buck anymore although I'm sure I will be visiting Cowboys again. I do like New Braunfels, but the commute time concerns me just a bit. We all know one MVA on the highway can change your entire drive time. I was wondering if their classes filled up or not, I didnt think most people would have the time to commit 40+ hours to a Paramedic program. Unless they were college kids still living with mommy and daddy (my brother).

Where do they normally do their clinicals? I assume you are in both settings, hospital and ambulance?

I appreciate your imput on this, I just came across this site today and figured it might be informative.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
LOL, I'm not a young buck anymore although I'm sure I will be visiting Cowboys again. I do like New Braunfels, but the commute time concerns me just a bit. We all know one MVA on the highway can change your entire drive time. I was wondering if their classes filled up or not, I didnt think most people would have the time to commit 40+ hours to a Paramedic program. Unless they were college kids still living with mommy and daddy (my brother).

Where do they normally do their clinicals? I assume you are in both settings, hospital and ambulance?

I appreciate your imput on this, I just came across this site today and figured it might be informative.

Lol very true :p Luckily I live in a good spot that allows me several different routes to get over to the med center :D I always check the traffic before I leave, as I've been burned on more than one occasion!

I'm envious of your brother! :D

Even if it did fill up, you've applied plenty early enough.

Yes, hospital and ambulance. Hospital is at University, and ambulance is with SAFD.

Well stick around! There is a wealth of information on here with some pretty intelligent, thought provoking contributors! :)

OP
OP
C

ChickenMcSuckIT

Forum Probie
Lol very true :p Luckily I live in a good spot that allows me several different routes to get over to the med center :D I always check the traffic before I leave, as I've been burned on more than one occasion!

I'm envious of your brother! :D

Even if it did fill up, you've applied plenty early enough.

Yes, hospital and ambulance. Hospital is at University, and ambulance is with SAFD.

Well stick around! There is a wealth of information on here with some pretty intelligent, thought provoking contributors! :)

Yes, I am envious too. He graduates from TAMU this winter, thats ok I have my UNCLE paying for mine, maybe you've heard of him his name is SAM. Ok kinda cheesy, but thank you for the info I am sure I may have more questions to follow, but this is definately a site getting saved to my favorites. I just got through reading the EMT to EMT-P thread. Thanks again.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Not a problem! Feel free to pm me if you have any more questions pertaining to this.

Vetitas86

Forum Lieutenant
Hey, had to drop by and lend some encouragement to a fellow Texan.

That said, I've heard amazing things about that particular program. If I could relocate, it would've been a toss up between that and UTSW.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
While I can't comment first hand in the program, I haven't been all that impressed by the medics I've seen come out of UTSW.

OP
OP
C

ChickenMcSuckIT

Forum Probie
Thanks for the information, I have looked at the UTSW course; however being from the Central Texas area and having youngins' I would prefer to stay in the area with family available for those unplanned situtations that can arise. One question that comes to mind, Is the quality of medic because of the school, or because of the individual?